Source code Management and Version Control

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Fontano, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Fontano macrumors member

What are you using to manage your Source Code, and provide any form of Version Control.

For now, I have just been making backups to a Flash stick, and a 2nd computer... but I would like to do something a little more elegant...

Possible CVS or something similar.

2. firewood macrumors 604

cvs comes with the Apple Developer tools and XCode integrates cvs directly into its SCM menu.

See: http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/cvsoverview.html
    for a CVS "getting started" page.

I also run Time Machine after I do any major CVS commit/check-in so that I have stuff backed-up on yet another disk drive.

3. nokq macrumors member

If your doing solo development like myself, you could substitute the xcode snapshot feature. I've used it exclusively. Otherwise go with svn.

4. ayasin macrumors 6502

I use SVN. It's great and REALLY easy to set up (esp if you have a spare mac).

5. Encryptic macrumors member

CVS is a bit more out of date, most people are using Subversion (SVN [Free]) or Perforce (P4 [Paid]) in commercial development.

Both of which integrate into XCode.

If you're serious about managing your source code, use of a VPS (Instead of using a spare computer, I prefer things being hosted off-site) isn't a bad solution, considering you can get one setup for $20/month and then throw in daily backups for another few dollars a month.

6. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

We use SVN, most of the time via the command line. Unfortunately XCode SVN Integration is simply terrible, breaks way too often for its own good.

7. brownsocks macrumors newbie

I concur with Aea, I had problems with the source control integration initially,granted I did not give it much time, and now I am using SVN from the command line and it works just fine for me.

8. speedracer3000 macrumors 6502

free subversion hosting

this may be helpful to some...
    I was looking into source control myself and since I prefer to use an off-site SVN server I searched online for subversion hosting. I found a site called http://projectlocker.com/ that offers free hosting for up to 5 team members and 500MB. For my purpose this is sufficient. I am not affiliated with the company just thought I'd share.