Source for 2x32GB DDR4 SODIMM 2666MHz?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Flintheart_Glomgold, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Flintheart_Glomgold macrumors newbie

Flintheart_Glomgold

Has anyone been able to locate 2x32GB ram for the 2018 Mac Mini?

2. Dr. Stealth, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

Dr. Stealth macrumors 6502a

Dr. Stealth

No, not even a 1x32GB.

A very common Apple ploy....

Find a company producing a bleeding-edge product that is still in low volume (as all bleeding-edge products are), approach them and negotiate an exclusive contract to purchase all they can manufacture. Apple will even invest in expanding said companies facilities to meet their demand if need be.

For 32GB SODIMMS it happens to be Samsung. (They are the ONLY company in the world producing them)

The same is true for 5K panels from LG. (They are the ONLY company in the world producing them) Apple has an exclusive contract and buys them all. Apple turned the water off on DELL, HP and others that produced them only briefly.

I crack up when I see forum titles like this on Ars Technica...

"What the heck happened to the 5K displays?"

Apple is very tight with both LG and Samsung. Despite the lawsuits between Samsung and Apple they are both on top of their games and $$$ makes their decisions.

Apple also carries this practice over to UPS, FedEx and DHL. Many months in advance of Christmas Apple pre-books flights from these companies based on their anticipated sales. When their competition try's to order shipments for Christmas delivery of their new products from the large shippers they are told "Sorry we have no more flights available."

Some people would call this a ruthless business practice, while others call it a great business move.

If you own Apple stock it is the latter....

3. mrvo macrumors member

4. Dr. Stealth macrumors 6502a

Dr. Stealth

Out of Stock (Wait, what?)

Like I said... Ruthless....

5. macdos macrumors regular

macdos

Yes… 'twas on the apple store when i bought the mini…

6. kamuix, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

kamuix macrumors regular

kamuix

7. louisitou macrumors member

louisitou

8. F-Train macrumors 65816

So the European price for 64GB of RAM is about €670 ex VAT or US$765 before tax.

9. nampramos macrumors 6502

10. F-Train macrumors 65816

True, but quite a bit less than the few U.S. quotes that I've seen.

11. nampramos macrumors 6502

There’s no skipping sales tax in Europe though.

12. F-Train, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

As far as I can tell, there are no vendors in the U.S. for the RAM needed for the mini that don't collect tax, so you're in for your local rate. But if you can purchase from Europe, it will ship to the U.S. ex VAT and there is next to no chance of you being taxed on it on entry.

Add that 64GB is actually available in Europe and appears to be quite a bit cheaper there, at least based on the few U.S. prices that I've seen, and it might be worth buying in Europe if you can arrange it.

13. nampramos macrumors 6502

European stores selling to the end consumer (non-business) will normally always charge VAT, no matter to where it’s being shipped (EU or outside).

If you’re a business, normally they wave the VAT, but not all.

14. F-Train, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

I don't know where you are getting this idea from, but I regularly purchase goods from European retailers for shipment to the U.S. and have never been charged VAT. There are two caveats. First, not all retailers are set up to do this, indeed some smaller retailers* don't know how to do it. Secondly, retailers will sometimes refuse to sell goods for shipment to the U.S. due to territorial restrictions. In the last year, I have purchased goods from retailers in the Netherlands, Germany and the U.K. ex-VAT.

*There are notable exceptions. I purchase motorcycle helmets (I'm partial to Schuberth, for which U.S. pricing is crazy) and some European motorcycle clothing from a small shop in Europe that not only sells overseas ex-VAT, but knows how to ship fast and at very reasonable prices.

15. nampramos macrumors 6502

You, as an American, and me as an European, obviously have different opinions which are already going off topic :)

16. F-Train, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

I am not an American, I have been a working, legal resident of the U.K. and France, and I was responding to your own posts, #12 and #14 specifically. If you didn't want to discuss the issue, what did you raise it for? I'm just telling you facts based on personal experience. Lord knows what your or my nationality has to do with it.

Furthermore, I am in fact interested in purchasing RAM in Europe and having it shipped to the U.S. Others may be as well. I happen to know quite well how E.U. VAT works on export sales, even if you don't. Why is this off-topic?