Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2009
Hi all.

I just replaced my cracked iphone 8 screen with one from ifixit. Repair process, their tools and guide were great. For some reason I hadn't considered the fact that I'd get a lower quality screen. Unfortunately this new screen is driving me crazy.

Is there a good source for OEM/OEM quality screens? Or do are they only available through Apple?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That just states it’s made in the same factory. How can you even verify that it actually is. It also states it’s assembled by a 3rd party... OEM is a term that has a lot of room for interpretation just like “organic” food. I agree with @Newtons Apple, Apple is the only place to get original parts identical to what came on the phone when new.

You can verify it because the flex cables on the replacement display assembly have an Apple logo on them.

In the image below, REWA has blacked out the Apple logo with a Sharpie to avoid legal issues, but if you wipe off the marker ink with alcohol, the logo will be there.

https://www.rewatechnology.com/media/rewa_pc/product/13468/1509907103866275370.jpg

There are plenty of ASPs around the world that can order OEM displays and provide them to resellers.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
You can verify it because the flex cables on the replacement display assembly have an Apple logo on them.

In the image below, REWA has blacked out the Apple logo with a Sharpie to avoid legal issues, but if you wipe off the marker ink with alcohol, the logo will be there.

https://www.rewatechnology.com/media/rewa_pc/product/13468/1509907103866275370.jpg

There are plenty of ASPs around the world that can order OEM displays and provide them to resellers.
So let’s say the OP installs one of these displays on his phone then decides to go get a battery replacement at Apple a week later. Will it pass a hardware test or would apple think it was the not the original display that came with the phone(even if he removed the sharpie on the Apple symbol)?

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I highly recommend Etradesupply, get the highest quality “OEM.” You Pay a premium, but the screens I received were too good to tell any quality difference from the original screen

You could also buy “working pull” from eBay. While considered used, they would be genuine; different levels of condition to choose from

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So let’s say the OP installs one of these displays on his phone then decides to go get a battery replacement at Apple a week later. Will it pass a hardware test or would apple think it was the not the original display that came with the phone(even if he removed the sharpie on the Apple symbol)?

It should pass hardware tests. In some instances, these parts are non-calibrated OEM displays ordered by ASPs from Apple. In other instances, the display assembly is pulled from an existing iPhone and only the glass is replaced. All other parts in the assembly are OEM.

In terms of battery service, Apple's policy does not require that the original display be installed.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I highly recommend Etradesupply, get the highest quality “OEM.” You Pay a premium, but the screens I received were too good to tell any quality difference from the original screen

You could also buy “working pull” from eBay. While considered used, they would be genuine; different levels of condition to choose from
I’ve used there “best” oem iPad screen replacement and they were nothing special. After three months, the oem replacement started to fail to register touch in certain areas of the screen as well as phantom touches... Also when comparing the original to the Etradesupply replacement there was a noticeable quality difference in the ribbon cables as well as the spacing of the grid pattern on the digitizer that recognizes the touch input. The original Apple screen had a much more dense grid compared to the replacement.. I would trust the ones @JPack recommended over Etradesupply just from personal experience

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Kind of unrelated, yet related:

Interestingly enough, I found out that a company Known as ‘Ubreakifix’ uses Apple OEM displays for their iPhone 7 and 8 for replacements to customers, however, they do redact any Apple identifying information on the displays, but that’s what I was told direct from a store manager.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
Hi all.

I just replaced my cracked iphone 8 screen with one from ifixit. Repair process, their tools and guide were great. For some reason I hadn't considered the fact that I'd get a lower quality screen. Unfortunately this new screen is driving me crazy.

Is there a good source for OEM/OEM quality screens? Or do are they only available through Apple?

put the old one back on and get it done through apple.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Remember when Apple makes repairs for iPhones with the water resistance rating, your water resistance will not be compromised, as they will use new gaskets/seals when they repair the iPhone.

Reactions: SigEp265

slapple

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
There are refurbished screens. They have an original Apple LCD panel from an iPhone with broken glass, then they get refurbished with an aftermarket glass. These displays are the closest to the genuine Apple ones.

Also with an iPhone 8 you need to copy the display ID to retain True Tone functionality. There are specific devices to accomplish this.
[doublepost=1558304139][/doublepost]
Thanks for the link. I need to replace the screen on my iPhone 5S because it doesn't register touch anymore. Rewa doesn't have any OEM New screens for the 5S right now, do you know if they might get some more back in stock, or do I have to settle for a lower quality screen?

Also, does anyone know if the 5S can use a SE screen?
5S and SE uses the same screen.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Also with an iPhone 8 you need to copy the display ID to retain True Tone functionality. There are specific devices to accomplish this

You are aware that True-Tone uses multi-channel sensors? It’s hardware-based, which is why the iPhone 8 includes that specific functionality.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
You are aware that True-Tone uses multi-channel sensors? It’s hardware-based, which is why the iPhone 8 includes that specific functionality.
Yes I am aware. The screen has an unique ID that pairs with the sensor. If you don’t transfer over that ID to the new screen, True Tone won’t work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.