Source games freeze during gameplay.. have to hold power button and restart..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theaero, Mar 9, 2011.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

Sometimes when I try to cmd+tab out of the game (Which has always been FAST and flawless on my 2010 mbp) the game freezes (l4d2) and I can move the mouse, but nothing else is responsive, until I restart.

I cmd+tab out a LOT, so this is no fun. Any ideas?

Oh, I have the new 2011 MBP with the 2.3ghz proc and the best GPU (forget the # atm). I play at 1920x, all low settings, except textures on high and AF on 8x. no vsync or AA.

EDIT: dont even need to alt tab. Happens without it now. Fun. Also, so far has happened with L4D2 and CSS. Havent tested any other games.

Console shows nothing that would be helpful to diagnose the problem. Did a fresh install of 10.6.6 and get this problem.

2. jdwagner888 macrumors regular

3. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

There's many threads here, on the Apple Discussion, and the Battle.net forums talking about this issue. I'd advise searching around a little bit :) There doesn't seem to be a known fix yet, however.

4. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Well heres the weird part. I have two laptops. 2011 mbp, 2.3ghz 4gb ram, best gpu, etc. One does it, one doesnt. :(

5. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Its happening for some people and it isn't for others. I'm sending an email to the guy in charge of my computer (its a replacement from Applecare) about it to see what to do, but it seems as if the number of people having issues would make it be a firmware/driver issue which will be fixed with an update.. Hopefully :p

6. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

what game are you playing?

7. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

8. k43l macrumors member

same thing happened to me when I tried playing Portal, my new macbook pro froze after about 2 minutes.

It might be an overheating problem, because of the new quad core CPUs.

I hope they can fix it with a software update :(