Source of iPhone compatible eBooks in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afd, May 27, 2009.

1. afd macrumors 6502a

Hi there

Up untill recently I was happily buying ebooks from ereader.com to read on my iPhone. Now however, any I try to buy, I am presented with a geographical restiction message and I can't buy them.
    Any one have any good UK sources? WH Smith seems to sell .pdfs and adobe reader ones that I don't think will work on an iPhone.

Thanks

afd

2. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

Annoying new changes at ereader.com

I'm in the same boat. Really, really frustrating. I've bought well over 100 ebooks from eReader and now most of the books aren't available in the UK. I did email support and they just blame the publishers. I can't understand where this new rule has come from. Strangely the books I have bought are still available to download from my bookshelf- but if I were to try and buy them again it wouldn't let me due to 'Geographic Restrictions'...

Moving forward, I'm not sure what the answer is. Maybe Amazon will release an app in the UK which would solve our problems.

Stanza offer a desktop converter to change file types. See http://www.lexcycle.com/supported-formats . I'm not sure how this fairs with protected books but I have successfully changed a .prc to a .pdb.

It is a shame, as I really like the eReader app.

3. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I'm in Ireland and bought a book last week in Stanza from Fictionwise.

4. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

Yeah some books are still available for us UK'ers, but most of the new releases by good authors are not.

5. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wonder if it was anything to do with the Barnes and Noble takeover?

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Have you tried Audible.com? I am still able to use them since I moved to the UK (although I do use my US credit card...)
    EDIT: Oops, I thought you said audio books. I just now saw that you said Ebooks. Sorry!

7. afd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Funny how it's possible to buy a real paper book from abroad and have it shipped here, but not an electronic version. I could see the point if there was a competing UK version of the company, but I can't find one.