Sources for Macbook Pro Retina SSDs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Artagra, May 4, 2013.

1. Artagra macrumors member

I'm keen to upgrade the SSD in my Retina - just wondering what the options are? I know it needs to be either the OWC or the original Apple unit - just wondering where I should by from?

I've been looking around and they are very well priced from iFixit, but they never have stock (I assume they only get when they buy an MBP and strip it down for parts). Also seen them on eBay, but often the sellers look a bit dodgy. Anywhere else I can look for them?

2. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I originally ordered the 480GG SSD from OWC, but returned it without even opening it once read many posts here which said it was slower than the Samsung OEM SSD that comes with most rMBP's.
    Then bought a 512GB Samsung out of a brand new machine for $650 in Ebay (few months ago) from a very reputable seller, came with tools for installation, perfect transaction. Later sold it in Ebay as well when bought my current machine for about the same price. I highly recommend the Samsung OEM, don't know about the Sandisk, which is also being supplied these days by Apple.

3. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Hmm

Hmm, I thought the OWC were actually quite a bit FASTER than any of the rMBP ssds, even the samsung ones.

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the 480GB is much faster , i have it in my retina 13" and vs my stock samsung 128gb its almost double the speed.

5. fskywalker, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

There are a few posts in the forum on this, showing read and write speeds, like this one:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1448298

Based on this I returned the OWC and bought the Samsung 512GB SSD.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Depends which samsung you get. My 758GB samsung seems to blow my OWC 480 out of the water but I use file vault. File vault disk encryption slows down OWCs SSDs quite a bit (its a sandforce thing), where there is little impact to a samsung.

Be careful which benchmark reports you read. You want to look for random reads/writes and encrypted benchmarks.

7. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

8. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Both of those ebay links appear to be Removed, or Dead.. However, there quite often ARE several there that appear to be from Decent Sellers!!

Search for Retina SSD

9. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

10. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

its not the size its the connector

i hope apple starts using ngff, otherwise its the same thing as not using the sata connector for the giggles of it

11. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

It is both the size and the connector as a standard SSD will not fit on the space provided at least on the 15 inch rMBP

12. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

a msata will and thats whats in that link