Sources for top case + battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rmetal, Nov 3, 2012.

1. rmetal macrumors newbie

My girlfriends keyboard has developed problems lately, and the battery is just getting to the point where it's toast. She's adamant about getting a new Macbook Pro, so I may just take her old Macbook, since I need a laptop. It's a 2.26ghz, late 2009 model.

Where would be the best place online to order a new top case and good quality battery? Also thinking that I may just put in 8gb of ram as well. Would the speed difference be pretty significant on this gen of Macbook with the ram upgrade?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know about the top case, but I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
    Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
    Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
    Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    It depends on your typical workload. Some users may benefit from 8GB, while others never need more than 4GB.

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Are there any cosmetic issues with the top case (especially around the edges?)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://www.ifixit.com

I have had good luck with parts from iFixit. It looks like they have the top case you need.

5. rmetal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info guys.

The top case is cracked a bit just where the charger would plug in. Is this still covered under that top case warranty? I recall reading that they stopped providing that service earlier in the year.