South Korea Lifts iPad Ban

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lotus Esprit V8, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Lotus Esprit V8 macrumors regular

According to the WSJ South Korea has lifted its iPad Ban.

This is news because I don't remember hearing that they ever had one. I wonder why it is that the ban by Israel got all of the press.

2. patp Guest

Why would any country ban an iPad? It's not like they don't already have Internet friendly phones, computers and a lot of laptops. Korea is one of the most wired countries in the world. Everyone over their has smart phones. They have the iPhone.

3. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

It has to do with the WiFi implementation as it was in Israel. Different channels are used in different regions of the world and certain ones can not be used in certain countries due to interference with existing services. Since the iPad was not approved for use in their countries it was restricted. Apple either has to request that previous test provided with the same chipset in another product be permitted for approval or they have to submit for all new tests. Components change from product to product. What is in the iPhone or the Macbook may not be similar to the iPad.

In this case, Korea chose to waive the ban for "personal use."

4. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

You realize the iPad needed approval by the FCC before being released in the U.S. too. Its just it was done prior to its release in that country.

Korea has the same restrictions and their regulations require review before allowing these devices to be used. It would seem a bit heavy to not allow single users to use a device (while limiting the sale of devices until a full review was complete).

I was concerned because I will be travelling to Seoul later this summer/fall and wasn't sure they would allow me to bring it in country and use it. The recent news gives me relief that it will be possible to use while travelling. It was one big reason why I bought the iPad as the long flight and international travel makes the smallest/lightest and best performing for me is the iPad.

5. wiretapMD macrumors member

I am presently in South Korea for a year of fellowship training. I brought in 2 units of the iPad 2 weeks ago and had no problems at the airport. Currently using them both here in Seoul. No problems encountered in wifi connections with all the wifi hotspots and networks here.

6. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Is there 3G service in North Korea, around Pyongyang?

7. patp Guest

I don't think they even have 1G service.

8. PoisonScorpion macrumors member

I think the DPRK has HSDPA, but only in Pyongyang. There is practically no service elsewhere.

Nice to hear countries are lifting bans. Should make it easier for Apple to sell it in other countries.

9. Lotus Esprit V8 thread starter macrumors regular

Only for the Military.