Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adventure game "South of the Circle" is coming to Apple Arcade, with an innovative new aesthetic inspired by mid-century screen printing.

From State of Play, developers of "Kami," "INKS," and "Lumino City," South of the Circle is a new adventure game with a strong narrative focus.

Set in the 60s in Antarctica, South of the Circle tells the story of Cambridge academic Peter. He finds himself crossing desolate terrain in an attempt to reach British, Norwegian, and Soviet Antarctic bases as he fights for survival. As conditions worsen, the past and the present blur together, and Peter is forced to come to terms with survival, reality, and the consequences of his past.

State of Play used full 3D motion capture for added realism, and the game features a host of award-winning actors such as Gwilym Lee, Olivia Vinall, Richard Goulding, Anton Lesser, Adrian Rawlins, and Michael Fox.

South of the Circle will be coming to Apple Arcade on iOS, iPadOS, macOS, and tvOS soon.

Article Link: 'South of the Circle' Coming to Apple Arcade

happygodavid

macrumors regular
May 14, 2007
Northern Virginia
This game definitely looks interesting, as do many others in Apple Arcade. However, I see what is available from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, as well as what's coming from Google Stadia and Amazon Luna, and I can't help but wish Apple would up their game (pun intended). I really hope Apple puts resources into a gaming platform at some point. Perhaps they're waiting to see how things shake out with the transition to streaming games from the cloud. It's going to take a lot to pull me away from either of the Big Three (Google and Amazon have yet to compel me), but if anyone can do it, it's Apple. Until I see offerings beyond games like this, however, I'm not sold on Apple Arcade. I'm sure this game is great. It's just nowhere near what I can get via Microsoft Game Pass (especially now that they've bought Bethesda/Zenimax) or first party Nintendo/Sony games. Anyone here think Apple will ever take a stab at a legit gaming service that would compete with the Big Three (or Amazon, and Google, depending on how things turn out for them)?

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Looks interesting, reminds of Mountain Survival (of the Choose Your Own Adventure) book series... hopefully is not a pseudo-game like Necrobarista, which was a huge letdown to me at least.

mariusfanu

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2020
London, UK
Not a fan of Apple Arcade, I haven't even tried it out as I don't game a lot on iPhone/iPad or even the Apple TV. But with the new Apple One plans I might get it even if I don't plan to use it. Anyway, the more games the better for people who use  Arcade.

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
Anyone here think Apple will ever take a stab at a legit gaming service that would compete with the Big Three (or Amazon, and Google, depending on how things turn out for them)?
Based on the fact that the Arcade exists, and considering the sad state of affairs with OS X, it seems too obvious that the answer is no. Apple makes it perfectly clear that their ecosystem isn't meant to be friendly to "legit" gaming, and it's probably for the best to just install Windows on a second partition while you can still use Intel-based Macs (because who knows if Windows will ever run on an ARM-based Mac)

On that note, no way are Stadia or Luma serious contenders to console or PC gaming, either

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2020
Not a fan of Apple Arcade, I haven't even tried it out as I don't game a lot on iPhone/iPad or even the Apple TV. But with the new Apple One plans I might get it even if I don't plan to use it. Anyway, the more games the better for people who use  Arcade.
I think many people like u will now be using Apple Arcade with Apple One

McG2k1

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
An innovative new aesthetic that every adventure game in the 90s had! Actually looks very fun for that reason.

ackmondual

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Quickie research shows this is an Apple Arcade exclusive. That's nice since it turns out, quite a few games a-Arcade are also available on other platforms.

This game definitely looks interesting, as do many others in Apple Arcade. However, I see what is available from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo, as well as what's coming from Google Stadia and Amazon Luna, and I can't help but wish Apple would up their game (pun intended). I really hope Apple puts resources into a gaming platform at some point. Perhaps they're waiting to see how things shake out with the transition to streaming games from the cloud. It's going to take a lot to pull me away from either of the Big Three (Google and Amazon have yet to compel me), but if anyone can do it, it's Apple. Until I see offerings beyond games like this, however, I'm not sold on Apple Arcade. I'm sure this game is great. It's just nowhere near what I can get via Microsoft Game Pass (especially now that they've bought Bethesda/Zenimax) or first party Nintendo/Sony games. Anyone here think Apple will ever take a stab at a legit gaming service that would compete with the Big Three (or Amazon, and Google, depending on how things turn out for them)?
If you're inquiring whether or not Apple will up their game to the level of those 3... then I highly doubt it. That market is a bit saturated. Not to mention those 3 have it well nailed down. From the get-go (we're talking decades back), Apple didn't really want to be known as a gaming system. Here, A-Arcade seems to fill a nice niche. Games that require a subscription, but some of them are quite unique, can be played offline (after you've downloaded them), don't require ads nor IAP, and iDevices may pale in comparison to the Switch, Xb, and PS, but they do a lot more non gaming things.

I myself have been intrigued by A-Arcade, but:
1) I need new hardware. I doubt my iPod Touch 5 and iPad Air will cut it
2) I have plenty of games
3) I haven't been playing many games since I've been streaming like mad
4) time

As for #1, if I'm going spend the minimum $300 on a new iPad, I may as well just buy a Switch*. The games overall cost more, but they're great, and given their gamestore is smaller, they have much better QA

* Am aware there's a shortage of them, but the principle still stands

Reactions: happygodavid

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why is it Apple keep telling us how much power these devices have now.
Same as an Xbox 1 or Xbox 2 or something.
And we keep getting stuff like this made?

Where are all the PROPER games, graphically amazing 3D type games as we used to play on the Xbox1 and 2 back then?
I hear so much talk and a few demo's.
But still see just these "mobile type" games all the time. :(

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013

I'm not a fan of drinking water.

I've never drunk water before.

Maybe sometimes someone slipped some into my Pepsi Max without me knowing.

But I might get the water connected to my house in the future, even though I'll probably never drink the stuff.

Anyway, more water for people that like to drink water please.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2016
Why is it Apple keep telling us how much power these devices have now.
Same as an Xbox 1 or Xbox 2 or something.
And we keep getting stuff like this made?

Where are all the PROPER games, graphically amazing 3D type games as we used to play on the Xbox1 and 2 back then?
I hear so much talk and a few demo's.
But still see just these "mobile type" games all the time. :(
Yep, these graphics look 20 years old.

thenahon

macrumors member
May 11, 2019
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

Adventure game "South of the Circle" is coming to Apple Arcade, with an innovative new aesthetic inspired by mid-century screen printing.

From State of Play, developers of "Kami," "INKS," and "Lumino City," South of the Circle is a new adventure game with a strong narrative focus.

Set in the 60s in Antarctica, South of the Circle tells the story of Cambridge academic Peter. He finds himself crossing desolate terrain in an attempt to reach British, Norwegian, and Soviet Antarctic bases as he fights for survival. As conditions worsen, the past and the present blur together, and Peter is forced to come to terms with survival, reality, and the consequences of his past.

State of Play used full 3D motion capture for added realism, and the game features a host of award-winning actors such as Gwilym Lee, Olivia Vinall, Richard Goulding, Anton Lesser, Adrian Rawlins, and Michael Fox.

South of the Circle will be coming to Apple Arcade on iOS, iPadOS, macOS, and tvOS soon.

Article Link: 'South of the Circle' Coming to Apple Arcade
Just finished the game. Stunned. It was a totally welcome change to the hundreds of garbage, time wasting games on the App Store. Beautifully done.

The story is fantastic. I was rooting for the protagonist and was never bored.

The game was produced by Apple so I imagine this means we will get more great gaming content that isn’t just a Clash of Clans or Candy Crush remake.

Attachments

• 62C8A3D2-46BC-4937-BAFC-0D15E6A92227.png
    62C8A3D2-46BC-4937-BAFC-0D15E6A92227.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 12
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.