Southern California Hardrive recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cheese07, Jan 9, 2009.

1. cheese07 macrumors newbie

I am in dire need to recover a hardrive with a video project on it. I sent it to a local mac repair shop and they said they couldn't recover it and that it will have to be sent to a clean room to be recovered.

I live in Los Angeles and am trying to find a reliable and somewhat affordable place to go. I don't really want to ship this thing anywhere and risk it getting lost or more damaged in the mail, so I want to find someplace local.

I know this kind of thing isn't cheap and am ready to shell out some $$$$ but just looking for some good recommendations for some place local.

THANKS A LOT GUYS!!!!!!!!

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

They are based in CA, but I don't remember where.

Drive Savers (presumably drivesavers.com)

check em out.

3. DavyC412 macrumors member

be prepared to spend a couple grand on recovery and make sure nobody turns it on. if its a damaged reading head, it may be scratching the platter which means that every time you turn it on, you scratch more data off the platter making it harder to recover. usually they look at the disc then tell you what files can be recovered, and from there you can decide wether to go through with it or not. we had a drive have just this problem, we sent it to segate, they seemed the most knowledgable and had a free evaluation of the disc before you decide to do the recovery (unfortunatley the drive was damaged beyond recovery, which we had verified with another company afterwords). i would check them out if they are near you.

but like i said, be prepared to pay a few thousand dollars for the service

4. cheese07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the info!!

I was actually just in contact with a place called "California Data Recovery" who are local. They said it would cost $600-$2200 to recover. The shop I took it to by my house said it had a damaged drive head so that is the reason we have to send it out to a clean room. This is the first time I have had to do this so I am just trying to get an idea of a reliable place to go. I'm ready to drop some money I just want the project back and want to find a reliable place to drop it off in the Los Angeles area.