Southern California iPhone Users Screwed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by laughingperson5, Aug 30, 2009.

1. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Anybody know if the AT&T cell phone signal towers are on Mount Wilson? I was watching ABC7 news earlier and they said that firefighters are being pulled from the site. So if the AT&T towers are on there will SoCal users be screwed?

2. samiwas macrumors 65816

Well, seeing that a cell tower generally covers a fairly small geographical region, I don't think the demise of one tower will leave all of SoCal without signal.

3. laughingperson5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Uhh.. So will at least LA and OC be without signal?

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Uh no there are more towers. The question should be whether or not lives are lost. Cell signals seem rather silly now don't they?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No. AT&T has hundreds, if not thousands, of towers in LA.

7. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Mt. Wilson has television and radio antennas, including communications equipment used by emergency, fire, and law enforcement. If those get knocked out it's going to be all the more difficult to coordinate crews fighting the fires out there.

8. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

God forbid you can't use your phone for a day while people's houses are being destroyed...:mad:

9. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

My thoughts exactly... I'm in the South Bay area (about 40 miles South) and have been able to see the smoke from that fire since Saturday, I'm more concerned that the people up there are safe and no more firefighters die, but hey, that's just me...

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And a line of power cables. Cell phone outages should be the least to worry about.

11. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Yeah, if you're trying to make/recieve calls from the middle of the fire...

Cell sites typically cover about four square miles in terrain like that. It's not like there is one big antenna on a mountain somewhere covering all of the LA metro area. Downtown alone there are something like 4500 cell sites providing coverage to 2.5m subscribers.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Put it this way: If you're close enough to those towers that your phone can get a signal from them, you've got bigger problems to worry about.

13. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

It's nice to know that we lose a couple of brothers and all you can think about is "Will I be without my precious cell phone?" ... You're a champ. Makes me feel like the risk I take everyday is appreciated, but I know ... You really need to update your Twitter every ten minutes and don't care what risk people take to ensure you can do that.