sp cut out for sensor?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DashSatan, Dec 17, 2011.

1. DashSatan macrumors 6502

I just picked up a new power support crystal clear after despising zagg. Strangely enough I liked it on my old droid but not on the iPhone. Anyway, I noticed now they are putting cut outs for the sensor above the microphone? Is there a reason for this? Last power support sp I ordered didn't have a cut out for it and I got along just fine, it's kind of annoying since I have the black iPhone 4 and you can't see the sensor anyway haha.

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Idk why, if it's the crystal I don't see a reason for a cut out for the sensor.

3. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I have found that even with anti-glare protectors the sensor is not affected by being covered. I don't see a reason to have that hole. Maybe it is just marketing so people think it is necessary and only PS protectors have the hole.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

It's for the proximity sensor. Controls/detects Siri lift to ear contact and for screen to turn off when you're on a call.

5. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

Actually there are two sensors there, the proximity sensor and the light sensor used to adjust screen brightness.

You already described the proximity sensor. To test the light sensor turn on the phone covering the sensor with your finger and you will see the screen stays dim. Uncover the sensor and it gets bright depending on ambient light.

AG films that cover these sensor have no effect on functionality, so there is no need to have the hole.