SP1 disc... agh

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Pickoff, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Pickoff macrumors member

Hey all, my uncle had a spare WinXP disc lying around, and as I am to cheap to buy something I will probably end up just using for games anyway, I decided to use boot camp.

The only problem is that the disc is SP1 and I dont have a PC to slipstream with. I heard that SP1 does install, it just has some driver issues. Could I not install it and then update, then install the drivers? Or am I looking at this from the wrong direction? Do I have to borrow a PC to do this?

Thanks all...

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. Pickoff thread starter macrumors member

If I have to, I will borrow someone's box before messing around in terminal, I really dont feel safe doing that.

4. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I've never read of a successful install with SP1; I think it's pretty well established that you do need SP2. Just borrow or use a friend's PC--it really doesn't take that long.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Forgive me if I'm being silly, but AFAIK slipstreaming a Windows install disc is a terminal-based affair in Windows XP also.

It might be mildly easier, but either way, you're going to have to get over your phobia and follow the directions and do it via terminal.

But don't worry -- you're not editing your system files when you're doing this. "Terminal" isn't scary. Lots of people screw things up in the terminal because they go there to edit the currently installed system. That's completely different than editing copies of some files on a CD (which is what you do when you slipstream).

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Not to mention, if you do it, you conquer your terminal-phobia. As long as you follow the guide and not do anything stupid like trashing system files (which you probably don't even know how to) you are fine. One of my friends thought it'd be funny to delete my dock one day. Totally messed up my OS... Oh wait I'm scaring you lol!