Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
ok, so i spent a whole day installing windows on my MBP, only to find that it wasn't slipstreamed properly. still, i had the SP2 installer right on my iPod, so I tried to run it. it told me i needed 4 MB of extra space. sorry, not buyin' that. nLite won't even run to clean the CD up, and I don't know what to do!
thanks in advance for the help,
wmmk

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
You got an SP1 XP disk to install o_O
I thought the the install choked on such disks?

so did I! I thought I was installing an SP2 disk. The drivers aren't installing properly, and when I go to system info, it definitely says SP1. Weird, isn't it!?!

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Bootcamp requires an SP2 disc. not slipstreamed or "i've got it on another cd"...

Apple said:
A bona fide installation disc for Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

that's why you're having trouble. If you use an SP2 copy it'll take less than an hour end to end.

EDIT: saw your post above, just took a while to write this ;)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Bootcamp requires an SP2 disc. not slipstreamed or "i've got it on another cd"...
While that is so, there are plenty of people, myself included that have installed versions of XP outside Apple's "requirements."

A slipstreamed CD is SP2.

wmmk you could try starting off by removing the $OEM$ and SVCPACK folders and SVCPACK.INF files from the files you copy from the SP1a CD before you try the slipstreaming again. I can't find the article that first suggested that...

B

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
The 4MB thing happened to me too. Boot Camp simply will not work with an SP1 install for some reason. I installed with SP2 later and it works fine.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.

that's why you're having trouble. If you use an SP2 copy it'll take less than an hour end to end.

EDIT: saw your post above, just took a while to write this ;)

i'm confused as to what you mean. slipstreaming is combining an update onto an older disk. i'm pretty sure that plenty of other people have slipstreamed SP2 with SP1 and installed t just fine. anyway, what are you reccomending I do?
thanks,
wmmk

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
While that is so, there are plenty of people, myself included that have installed versions of XP outside Apple's "requirements."

A slipstreamed CD is SP2.

wmmk you could try starting off by removing the $OEM$ and SVCPACK folders and SVCPACK.INF files from the files you copy from the SP1a CD before you try the slipstreaming again. I can't find the article that first suggested that...

B
sounds like a good idea. unfortunately, all i see is this:

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 80

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
sound the *.sp1, SVPACK.inf, and SVPACK folder.

didn't find $OEM$
anyway, spotlighting OEM gave me this:

You probably don't have one then... It's just for things like custom wallpaper and the like....

Any luck?

B

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
haven't tried yet, still finishing up homework. i'll try in 15 minutes or so:)

ok, so 15 minutes turned into 5 days!!!
anyway, i removed all of the hotfixes on my disc, and now i have a folder with all of the files that would be on a normal retail XP SP1 CD. I also have a program that automates slipstreaming if you put in a disc and specify the .exe service pack installer. anyway, to get that to work, i need to get this folder and turn it into a bootable .iso, mount that, and fool windows into thinking that it's actually a CD. (I don't feel like wasting perfectly good discs.)

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Don't have any CD-RWs handy? :p
nope, can't say I do:mad:

What software are you using as a virtual CD drive? (Since Windows doesn't do this out of the box). :rolleyes:

B

I don't get what you mean with this....
are you just saying I can't get windows to mount an ISO and let a program think it's a real CD? or are you asking how i got the files off of the XP install disc?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
are you just saying I can't get windows to mount an ISO and let a program think it's a real CD?
Yup. Windows XP doesn't know how to do anything with an ISO out of the box. It has no way to create them or burn them or mount them without third party tools. Most CD burning suites come with one (e.g. Nero) and there are a bunch of other virtual CD tools.

You could try this. http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html if you don't already have some other tool for mounting ISOs.

B

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Yup. Windows XP doesn't know how to do anything with an ISO out of the box. It has no way to create them or burn them or mount them without third party tools. Most CD burning suites come with one (e.g. Nero) and there are a bunch of other virtual CD tools.

You could try this. http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html if you don't already have some other tool for mounting ISOs.

B

i'll use that if doing it manually doesn't work, but I really would hate spending money on something I'll use only once. then again, i hate C: prompts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.