Space available after OSX on MacBook Air 11" 64 gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by miatadan, Jun 12, 2012.

1. miatadan macrumors member

miatadan

How much space if left on the 64GB SSD on 2012 Macbook Air 11" after space taken by OS-X and maybe 2 more programs VLC & Apple Aperture or Adobe Lightroom

Dan

2. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I can't answer your question OP, but I would like to expand on it to knowledgeable posters:

-How much space does Lion take up on the HD? How much for the recovery portion? In terms of JUST the OS and the recovery portion, how much free space is left over?

-How much space does Windows 7 take up as well?

I am currently debating between a 13" Pro and Air, but can not justify buying more than 128 GBs of internal storage on the Air. That being said, I will probably be using Parallels or Boot Camp with Windows 7, so I'm curious on how much space I have to play around with in terms of other applications and just general space.

Thanks in advance for any help.

3. miatadan thread starter macrumors member

miatadan

Forgot about recovery portion , how much actual space left over as I am sure you do not even have 64 gb available as portion of SSD as unallocated space used for wear levelling, trim, idle time garbage collection etc

Dan

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Well, it won't be any different than the space available on last year's model. But I am curious to know this as well. I think I read that you would have about 48 GB free. Mountain Lion should take up some more space, but not by much I don't think.

I think it's definitely do-able. Many people go minimal. If you just need those few programs on your Air, I think you'll be fine.

5. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

For what it's worth, I just did a clean install of Snow Leopard, and applied all software updates. The system is currently using 7.5GB. Lion doesn't use much more than that in files, but it also has the recovery partition.

I'd think you'd have around 50GB free.

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Picked up an 11" 4/128 last night. Had 103GB available before I did anything. This includes iLife and all stock software.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

how is the screen of the 11", do you feel like it looks really small. I hate the way a netbook screen is and don't want that feel

8. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I don't feel that way. I'm coming from a 2010 13" MBA and I don't feel like I've lost much. With Lion being able to manfacture desktops on the fly and being able to swipe between them with 3 or 4 finger gestures, I don't feel cramped at all.

I have Safari on one desktop, Xcode on another, and Preview for reading pdfs in a 3rd. It's very quick and easy to flit between the windows. The Apple trackpad is what makes using a small laptop so much easier than other companies' laptops.