Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I have been a very careful and proud owner of my 11inch 2011 MBA but today while cleaning my screen I noticed a horizontal mark that I cannot clean off with my cleaning cloth. I have tried wetting the cloth and wiping but still it does not come off:( I think its maybe the space bar that has imprinted onto the screen. I feel totally pissed with this as my MBA has been my baby.

Is there any cleaning polishes that anyone could recommend?

Please advise.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011

There was some talk of this when the 2010 first came out - it seemed to happen most often when people would carry the Air around in a backpack filled with books - the pressure on the thing body would cause these imprints. I think some people would use keyboard cloths when they closed their lides to prevent it.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Keyboard cloths and/or a sleeve case.

iaymnu

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
I have imprints on my screen also. From my moshi keyboard cover.
Just use rubbing alcohol and wipe right after so it doesn't leave streaks.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
There was some talk of this when the 2010 first came out - it seemed to happen most often when people would carry the Air around in a backpack filled with books - the pressure on the thing body would cause these imprints. I think some people would use keyboard cloths when they closed their lides to prevent it.

Yeah I carry my MBA alongside my iPad 2 with USB wires and power supply in my messenger bag all the time. So I guess that is the reason I've got that long horizontal mark on my MBA screen that I cannot wipe off. The mark is only noticeable when a reflection of a light/lamp/window with daylight is shown on the glossy display when the display is switched off (Black). I sent my MBA into the Apple premium reseller where I bought my MBA and they were puzzled. A member of staff wiped my screen with cleaner and a micro fibre cloth but still the mark wouldn't wipe off. They told me they would get back in touch with me to see if it is a common problem and if I can get it repaired.

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I went back to my local Apple resellers with my MBA and the guy looked at my screen. He then took it next door for the manager to look at and was told to get in touch with their workshop. However, the guy couldn't get in touch with the workshop and told me that he would get back in touch to see if it is a common problem. If it was a common problem then I would get a free repair or replacement. A couple of days later I hadn't heard back from them so I went back to the store where another member of staff told me that they would charge me £300 to get a new display. Unhappy I urged to speak to the manager but the member of staff told me he would have to speak to him. He went away to speak to him and then came back to tell me that the manager told him that I had already got my display replaced through AppleCare:eek::mad: I don't know what planet that manager is on but I have never had my display replaced. I then walked out the store in disgust. This has really made me lose my faith in Apple products:mad:

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I think the best thing for you is to call Apple direct, or take it to an Apple store, not a reseller, as these people in this Apple reseller really do not seem to know what they are talking about.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
The thread is here!
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13844230&posted=1#post13844230

Like I said I was going to purchase one but I'll skip now the strength of the suround don't seem to be upto scratch it's flexing and damaging the screen and the polariser!

I think also the keyboards slightly raised to make a thinner design and causing pressure marks, it looks nice but I think I shall go with the pro!

If you want a thin and light laptop why would you go with a Pro when a simple padded sleeve case solves the problem? :rolleyes:

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

entatlrg said:
The thread is here!
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=13844230&posted=1#post13844230

Like I said I was going to purchase one but I'll skip now the strength of the suround don't seem to be upto scratch it's flexing and damaging the screen and the polariser!

I think also the keyboards slightly raised to make a thinner design and causing pressure marks, it looks nice but I think I shall go with the pro!

If you want a thin and light laptop why would you go with a Pro when a simple padded sleeve case solves the problem? :rolleyes:

It wont you can't make better a design flaw with a padded case the screen is far to thin to have strength! The pro is much more solid and dont present this issue I'd rather had a working laptop then one I have to baby incase it duffs the screen in!

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It wont you can't make better a design flaw with a padded case the screen is far to thin to have strength! The pro is much more solid and dont present this issue I'd rather had a working laptop then one I have to baby incase it duffs the screen in!

You know what DOES solve it? Either 1) dont carry it in a backpack with 20 pounds of books OR 2) put a keyboard cloth on the keyboard when you close it. Of course, if you'd rather lug an extra 1.5 pounds everywhere you go for the next few years, have at it.

RLesko

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Think it's unfair to hold apple accountable for this. First of all, you are dealing with a reseller, and second the problem seems to stem from you stuffing your bag so tight that a lot of pressure is put on your laptop. I carry a microfiber cloth around anyways, you may as well just tuck it in between your laptop

Artmuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Think it's unfair to hold apple accountable for this. First of all, you are dealing with a reseller, and second the problem seems to stem from you stuffing your bag so tight that a lot of pressure is put on your laptop. I carry a microfiber cloth around anyways, you may as well just tuck it in between your laptop

I don't agree to what you are saying because I have carried laptops before in a backpack tightly stuff and its never had this screen imprint mark.

johnhurley

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
I don't agree to what you are saying because I have carried laptops before in a backpack tightly stuff and its never had this screen imprint mark.

I don't think it is ever a good idea to carry any kind of laptop somewhere that is "tightly stuffed".

Get a separate carrying case is one option.

Beyonder

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011

I agree with you on that. If you buy the air for portability but end up having to buy a 2 inch steel-case of kevlar case to protect its delicate screen, then it beats the whole purpose of portability.

That said, I just delivered my macbook air 13" to the Genius bar yesterday. They were nice enough and will exchange the screen within the next couple of days (so I am told). I don't know how I can avoid this from reappearing again, but surely I shall have to be extremely careful if I lug it into a bag with anything else in it...
Had I known about this earlier I would have bought a Pro, since I am strong enough to lift the extra pound - but do care for a something that is actually 'portable' in its reallest sense.

Simon86

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
I have the same imprint on my MBA 13", it appeared within the first month. But I've accepted it for the time-being, as it isn't visible when the unit is turned on.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
You can't possibly call it a design flaw. A super-thin laptop, closed, with books and power adapter on top of it, without a sleeve-case and no cloth between screen and keyboard, pressure marks are inevitable, no matter the design of the case/screen.

I had such problems with an older powerbook (ppc mac, and much thicker that any mba) when I put some pressure on it with lid closed. You have to protect it if you want it mark-free.

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2010
I have the same imprint on my MBA 13", it appeared within the first month. But I've accepted it for the time-being, as it isn't visible when the unit is turned on.

It's people like you why company's get sloppy over product quality, complain! It's your hard earned money and will iron out any future MacBook air problems this is not down to user error the more people think it is the more apple wins the...

It's your fault it will be £300 to replace the display argument

Only you don't have 60billon sitting in reserves!

It's £1300 laptop even my 3 year old Sony vaio that was £800 don't have this it's not an entry level machine, you'll make these excuses now but be angry if a new one comes out in the space of a year that don't do it!

Simon86

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
It's people like you why company's get sloppy over product quality, complain! It's your hard earned money and will iron out any future MacBook air problems this is not down to user error the more people think it is the more apple wins the...

It's your fault it will be £300 to replace the display argument

Only you don't have 60billon sitting in reserves!

It's £1300 laptop even my 3 year old Sony vaio that was £800 don't have this it's not an entry level machine, you'll make these excuses now but be angry if a new one comes out in the space of a year that don't do it!

Calm down. The reasons why I haven't got it replaced YET are:
  • I have seen that it is a common issue, along with the creaking chassis. So it'll probably happen again. In fact it's a design issue so it'd definitely happen again.
  • It is quite minor at the moment, so isn't bothering me.
  • I rely on the MBA for work, so can really do without the hassle right now.

Beyonder

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011
agreed and reflections

I went back to my local Apple resellers with my MBA and the guy looked at my screen. He then took it next door for the manager to look at and was told to get in touch with their workshop. However, the guy couldn't get in touch with the workshop and told me that he would get back in touch to see if it is a common problem. If it was a common problem then I would get a free repair or replacement. A couple of days later I hadn't heard back from them so I went back to the store where another member of staff told me that they would charge me £300 to get a new display. Unhappy I urged to speak to the manager but the member of staff told me he would have to speak to him. He went away to speak to him and then came back to tell me that the manager told him that I had already got my display replaced through AppleCare:eek::mad: I don't know what planet that manager is on but I have never had my display replaced. I then walked out the store in disgust. This has really made me lose my faith in Apple products:mad:

Sounds like my story: I went to the Retail store (2 hours from where I live) with the same problem (screen indented by space bar). They took the computer and agreed to fix it. I got it returned 2 days later with a report saying that they DO NOT cover repairs, and that I'd have to pay 115,000 Yen to fix it.

Not only that - there is now a half centimeter scratch in the screen, which wasn't there before. I don't know what they have done in the repair section, but it seems they must have been heavy handed with it. For me this is a lesson in OCD, and I'll have to let go, because there is no such thing as perfection, even if Apple would like to have you think so.

Another thought is that I am very happy with the service I received from Apple, they are always polite friendly and efficient. But, there is no substance to the service. Basically if you purchase an Apple Care deal, you will have to jump through a thousand hoops to get anything out of it - that is my impression.

I will try to sell my macbook air and get a Pro instead, when the new one comes out. For someone like me, the air is too delicate to really be portable. If I wanted a stationary home computer, I would surely not go for a macbook air.

Have a nice day, and enjoy your computers even if they have a little flaw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.