Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
Hi guys,

Maybe it's just me, but the space bar key feels a bit different with less travel than the other keys. Do you guys have the same issue?

Thanks!

Reactions: aleanrodrigues

Ender17

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
Haven't noticed anything on my 15". Feels like same amount of travel as other keys.

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Probably stuck like the spacebar on my 12"rMB....so far my MBP's spacebar is okay but my rMBs is always getting stuck...sometimes you can blast it with canned air and it gets better...but it may soon come back or on some other key.....

lairdhenn

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2016
I got a 13" non-TB and was disappointed with how hollow and cheap the spacebar felt and sounded but accepted it as just the way it was because it functioned perfectly. Yesterday I took it back to get a TB 13" and the spacebar on the new laptop feels and sounds completely different, it resembles every other key. The quality control on these things seems to be all over the place.

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I haven't noticed that on my space bar. Although I do feel that my girlfriend's Retina MacBook's space bar does have very little travel; but she's had it for about a year now and it's very dirty. I feel like there is some sort of debris (e.g. food) under the key.

technoholic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
There's a difference in my space bar as I said in the other thread, where it's a little spongy, but I think it's just down to being a different type of key. I don't think it's faulty as such, wouldn't be enough to return it I don't think.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I got a 13" non-TB and was disappointed with how hollow and cheap the spacebar felt and sounded but accepted it as just the way it was because it functioned perfectly. Yesterday I took it back to get a TB 13" and the spacebar on the new laptop feels and sounds completely different, it resembles every other key. The quality control on these things seems to be all over the place.

Yeah I'm going today to the Apple store to tell them about this. Problem is that if I get a replacement will take forever again :(

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
You have to evaluate for yourself if you want a replacement or not. They would have no problem doing that for you - but as you say, it would take forever.

Ask the guys at the Apple store to tell you whether they think that's defective or if it's just in normal tolerances. At the end it's up to you if you like it that way or not.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
You have to evaluate for yourself if you want a replacement or not. They would have no problem doing that for you - but as you say, it would take forever.

Ask the guys at the Apple store to tell you whether they think that's defective or if it's just in normal tolerances. At the end it's up to you if you like it that way or not.

They will naturally say it's ok right? Couldn't be bothered. I believe I need to compare it with another model to check

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
They will naturally say it's ok right? Couldn't be bothered. I believe I need to compare it with another model to check

Actually I wouldn't bet on that. The Genius I got who evaluated my "e"-key issue said that he would return the MacBook for a new one. The technical guys are kind of honest I believe, they won't sell you something abnormal as normal if it isn't.

But yes, compare it to others in the store, that's a good idea.

delasonrisa

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
same for me. the space bar feels and sounds different than the other keys. not as clicky and more dull. im going to compare this to another rMBP TB tomorrow.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
same for me. the space bar feels and sounds different than the other keys. not as clicky and more dull. im going to compare this to another rMBP TB tomorrow.

Can you let me know once you do so since I will only be able to compare on Sunday? Thanks!

delasonrisa

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2016
so I just tested the space bar on another brand new MBP TB and it felt exactly the same as on my machine. So my conclusion is that the space bar just naturally fells a little bit different than the other keys. Gonna head to a apple retailer next week to confirm this but for now I'm keeping my machine.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
so I just tested the space bar on another brand new MBP TB and it felt exactly the same as on my machine. So my conclusion is that the space bar just naturally fells a little bit different than the other keys. Gonna head to a apple retailer next week to confirm this but for now I'm keeping my machine.

Thanks for posting. I'll be going there on Sunday to personally check. It's just strange, but maybe it's because the space bar key is too wide thus naturally different. Other than that the laptop is in 100% condition so I'm skeptical on replacing it just because of this

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
So I've just returned from the Apple Store and I can confirm that the space bar is spongy compared to other display models. I've asked the genius and they told me that although it worked that they can understand what I say, that indeed they also feel it's not right. I'm now proceeding with a swap :(

aleanrodrigues

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2017
Hi guys,

Maybe it's just me, but the space bar key feels a bit different with less travel than the other keys. Do you guys have the same issue?

Thanks!
same here... just got a MacBook Pro with touch bar and retina display. it works just fine, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.