Space Black Apple Watch - Will it scratch ??!!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by parallax33, May 22, 2015.

1. parallax33 macrumors regular

Ok, I had this question unanswered, so made a vid for you guys :)

Space Black Apple Watch - Will it scratch ??!!
    https://youtu.be/qmyKbj14QnI

2. JoeyEatWorld macrumors member

JoeyEatWorld

How are you liking your link bracelet so far? I am considering buying the link band (in non-black of course) to go with my black leather loop band option. I am on the fence due to price, but curious how other people like theirs so far.

I live about 150 miles from an Apple Store, so I have yet to see one in reality to check it out for myself.

3. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

That's awesome! Thanks man! I posted this over in the shipping status thread - hopefully Danny will post some of his scratch pics over here. Hopefully he tries removing them as well. (not sure he has yet).

4. parallax33 thread starter macrumors regular

Its actually really good. During try on of the SSLB, I thought it felt a bit flimsy, but its not at all. Really comfortable to wear, although I have pinched myself a couple of times on closing, which is something you just get used to.

I have seen a bit of feedback that the standard SSLB does scratch which is what made me want to release this vid :)

----------

I read that Gun Oil will really help to clean off the marks, maybe WD40 as well. I used a microfibre cloth in the video and it came up really well. Not even a trace of a scratch :) Well happy with my choice now!

5. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

6. parallax33 thread starter macrumors regular

7. JoeyEatWorld macrumors member

JoeyEatWorld

Hey thank you so much for the helpful feedback. I decided at the last minute before pre-ordering to get the SS Black Leather Loop watch instead of the SS Black Link watch. I wish I would have went with my original choice, as your watch looks absolutely breathtaking. If they offer the same option for the 2nd generation I will definitely pick it up.

8. parallax33 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it definitely stands out amongst the other watches, but at a price. Not sure it is the most sensible decision given it is 1st Gen, but very pleased with the quality and look of it. Thanks :D

9. Branskins macrumors 65816

10. Starfox macrumors regular

What about the body of the watch itself? Did you try the same on a discreet location (like the bottom of the case for example)?

11. parallax33 thread starter macrumors regular

I did actually try it in the side of a link, which is polished like the body. Similar results, the scratch showed and then buffed off with the microfibre cloth

:cool:

----------

I am really impressed with this finish. Apple did very good :apple:

12. Starfox macrumors regular

The body is polished, the link is brushed.

13. Branskins macrumors 65816

The outside edges of the links are polished

14. Starfox macrumors regular

I just checked Apple's website and that doesn't seem to be the case - are you sure?

15. Branskins macrumors 65816

http://store.apple.com/xc/product/MJ482LL/A

This probably isn't ideal, but rotate the watch slowly and you should see that the edges of the band are polished and not brushed

It's quite striking having the brushed links and the polished sides.

The edges of the lugs are also polished so that when it's connected to the watch, it blends in with the case

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

It was good to see the first scratch test on one of these watches, but this was not really much of a test as the OP just ever so lightly drug the tip across. I actually tried pretty hard to scratch the back of one of my extra links with the tip of a pair of scissors and managed to leave a mark.

It will be hard to watch, but I assume before too long some moron will set out to destroy one of our beloved watches and then we will really see how well the DLC holds up.

17. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Have you tried to remove the mark yet? Can you feel it? Did you actually cut below the surface?

18. parallax33 thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for your feedback on this.

Just to clarify, that the effort I put in was what I considered was equivalent to a brush against a sharp stainless steel object. I didn't gouge it, but did put some pressure on it. There is a sound in the video that reflects this.

It was also only when I rubbed with the microfibre cloth that the mark came out. You may also need to use some kind of gun oil or possibly WD-40 to help, but as long as you haven't gouged a mark into the link, I would be willing to bet it will come out.

Can you put up some before after pics?

Thanks!

----------

Yes, I can assure you that this is definitely the case, because I obviously have one :D

I have a video of this if you want to see it but didn't use a light so you can't really see the end result.

Do take note though, that if you scratch the surface really hard then you will mark the DLC by actually bending the metal under the surface. Pretty sure this is what the previous poster was seeing.

Would love to see those pics however :)

19. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Here you go. There seems to be one small spot that got through to metal. I really don't want to try this on the outside of any of my links, but this really makes me curious to see what would happen in a real torture test.

Attached Files:

20. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

As I said in a similar thread:

Went to remove the link on my SSSB today to put on a sport band to work out in and the link required so much force to get out of the watch that when it finally came out it doubled back and hit up against the outside of the watch and caused a hairline scratch. It looks to be, like some people have said, maybe a scratch in the coating over the DLC as it didn't seem to penetrate the DLC completely.

Kind of frustrating but what can you do I guess. If anyone has deny tips for removing these scratches let me know. The eraser trick that some have described for other watches or coated blades definitely didn't work and I can seem to get it out with a microfiber alone.

21. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Still not convinced that it isn't the softer steel of the scissors deposited on top of the DLC.

----------

The blade forums link above has lots of suggestions for getting scratches off of the DLC.

22. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Read this yesterday - promising?

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...move-scratches-from-black-finished-DLC-blades

Edit: Ahh - sorry, previously posted! In view of which, it seems even more promising :)

23. parallax33 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I agree that is definitely the case on most of it, but if you really pressed hard it is possible to go through the coating for sure

----------

Gun oil is good for cleaning off the residue. It will be interesting to see the result. If you don't have Ballistol, try some WD-40 or similar lubricant oil.

----------

Bloody hell, you really gave that some effort :eek:

24. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

It isn't. There is definitely seems to be one little nick in the coating that appears to be showing the SS underneath. I cleaned off any of the residue from the tip of the scissors, which weren't really leaving residue. I was REALLY pressing down hard when I did this.

I'm still not 100% convinced either. We won't know for sure until somebody really goes nuts with power tools on one.

25. Branskins macrumors 65816

Did you try WD-40?

In very bright light (sun or phone camera light), I think I see some kind of dark mark that's very thin...like thinner than paper clip then. It looks slightly darker than the Space Black when light shines directly off it.

I can only see it looking very closely. I will try the WD-40 on it. However I'm not even sure if it came like this, it is just very hard to notice.

Not sure I care since it doesn't look deep enough to be hitting the steel. I can't even feel it. Microfiber or water didn't work so maybe some WD-40 will?

Who knows, it's definitely not a gouge!