Space Black Milanese loop

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by MartyCan, Mar 21, 2016.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I was hoping they'd come out with this and sure enough they announce it today. But once the store goes back on line I find out that the Space Black version is C$279 while the regular ML is still C$199.

If it had been the same price I think I would have ordered it on the spot. But for nearly $300 I can be content with the cheap 3rd party black ML I got for $50 on Amazon.ca

Apple's is nicer for sure but it's not THAT much nicer.

2. MecPro macrumors 6502

Its like the Steel Link Apple watch being cheaper than the Black Steel version

Unless there is an actual difference, otherwise looks like nothing more than a shafting

3. Branskins macrumors 65816

I wonder if any stores are getting them in stock today

4. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I assume more goes into the process of coating it with black. I might be wrong.

5. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

The DLC process certainly raises the cost compared to regular steel.

6. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

It may indeed cost more to make but it's still more than I am willing to put out for one. If they'd been closer in price I would have been tempted.

7. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

8. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I'm keeping an eye on this thread just to see if the black finish stands up to being dragged through the lug attachment every day.

No other mesh watch band I've ever seen is a "loop" style. I'd be amazed if the coating stays intact.

(on the other hand, I'm in the minority who feels that a black-coated tool, such as a sporty watch, looks even better as the coating gets smoothed away)

9. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

In my experience the DLC coating is really tough. After about a year I still can't find a mark on my SB watch or link bracelet. Not at the connector either or butterfly clasp. That's the biggest reason I haven't gone 3rd party I was hoping Apple would make a DLC version. I guess we'll have to wait and see but that has been my experience with DLC so I'm not too concerned that stuff has been incredibly durable for me, better than I was expecting honestly.

10. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I'm not even seeing any color fade on my $50 Amazon black Milanese loop. It's just not quite as heavy as the Apple band (my wife has the original ML).

11. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

My OEM link bracelet had wear after just a few weeks.

image.jpeg

12. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I'd be taking that back to them. They're like $600 here!

13. Karnicopia, Mar 21, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

Karnicopia macrumors 6502

Yeah you should have taken that back for sure that doesn't look normal to me. I know some people had DLC coming off quickly and it was problems with how it was applied and they took the return. Hell I'd just give it a shot in case they can tell its manufacturing defect. Worst thing they could say is no. Haven't seen many OEM link with SG sport, they match up really well!

14. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I wonder how it will look with the Space Gray Sport.

15. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

This is NOT the Apple SB Milanese but it is a 3rd party. I think it looks great on my SG Sport

Attached Files:

16. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Good to know, I assumed it was normal cause I have some cheaper watches where the black started to wear off after a while.

17. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I heard the black is DLC coated.

18. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

Apple Link Bracelet is DLC

19. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I want to get one as well. This is what I want from the very very beginning. However, I already have the bracelet, and I have a silver watch with milanese loop. TBH, the bracelet is more comfortable most of the time. The milanese is just easier to adjust (both intentionally or unintentionally).

I may still buy this one as my 2nd band just in case sometime I want to use it. but I may hold until I confirm it's a DLC coating milanese loop.

Anyway, I wear my watch >20hr per day, and my DLC coated bracelet has zero damage as expected since day 1 (last July).

20. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I was hoping Apple would release the black Milanese loop. Ordered it on the spot and it will be here tomorrow. I think it should look fine with my black sport. Will post pics here when I get it.

21. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Thanks, I just meant "OEM" meaning an official Apple band, not a knockoff brand.

22. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I'm interested to hear how it holds up to scuffs as well. One of the major drawbacks of the original milanese loop was the magnetic clasp getting scratches easily. I got the leather loop because I wanted the ability to easily fine tune the adjustment, but I dislike having to take the watch off to do dishes and such.

Anyone get one yet who owns the SS AW? I'd love to see pictures of that combo.

23. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

Got mine today. Is very nice. Shame they ditched the plastic box from the packaging though.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

24. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

It doesn't look too bad on the black sport watch.

Attached Files:

25. rip-the-jacker macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

i have the milanese loop on my SSAW, is there a back to front or does it not matter which way you have the strap on the watch?

thanks, RTJ