Space Black screen scratch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by swarlos, Mar 6, 2018.

1. swarlos macrumors 6502

swarlos

So Sunday I noticed a pretty big scratch on my space black steel screen. Do you guys think Apple would replace it under warranty or consider it an accidental damage claim? Sucks cause when I had my S0 SBSS it didn’t get a single scratch on it.

2. Relentless Power, Mar 6, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Which Generation Apple Watch do you have? Do you have Applecare Plus?

https://www.apple.com/support/products/watch.html

3. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

They wouldn't because it's scratched accidentally. If your model is Sapphire, it's very unlikely the screen is scratched, most likely the anti reflective layer which can be buffed off.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The sapphire screen will scratch. One of my friends just brushed up against a brick wall with his watch and it scratched big time. Apple would not fix it for free.

5. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

Is it the sapphire or the coating? Saphire is actually quite scratch resistant. The coating however, is not.

Of course they wouldn't cover it :) Warranty doesn't cover accidental damage or negligence!

6. swarlos thread starter macrumors 6502

swarlos

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

You can MORE than feel it with your finger nail. This is not in the coating, it is in the sapphire screen.

8. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

Unless you can prove that Apple somehow made the scratch appear (say, factory defect causing fatigue and triggering a fracture) it wouldn't be covered under warranty because it's not the manufacturer's fault and it has not been advertised as being unscratchable.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I would pay Apple to replace the screen. It would bother me too much seeing a deep ugly scratch on my SS model.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

True. And the rarity of sapphire display scratching is extremely difficult, but can happen. In most situations, this is where Applecare Plus would be beneficial. But I found out with the stainless models that I usually don’t need AppleCare because of the Sapphire display being extremely durable.

11. SL4VE macrumors 6502

Apple are real arses when it comes to replacing the watch. I’ve had several issues including nearly burning my wrist and still their not interested. Just telling me it’s software.

12. raqball macrumors 68000

Agree... There are plenty of sapphire watches that get scratched. I am a pretty steady user of the Garmin fenix line and people report the sapphire version of them getting scratched up every so often.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Garmin is still my go to device for fitness. For me their app is also the very best.

14. raqball macrumors 68000

I hate the Garmin Connect app.. I have a fenix 5 and a Edge 520 and generally use the website instead of the app. Now I do not use my fenix or AW for tracking steps, stand reminders, sleep tracking ect so maybe it works fine for those things.

Mine are used for cycling, running and swimming and I couldn't care less about meeting their daily goals. I never close the rings on the AW yet I cycle 30-40 miles a day, 4 days a week and then 2 days I do run and swim combo days with taking one day off a week to be a bum..

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Depends on the store you deal with as well. Every store experience will be different and respond differently based on the situation. Some stores are responsive to certain issues over others.

16. swarlos thread starter macrumors 6502

swarlos

It definitely does! Hell I freaking washed my AirPods in my pants in the washing machine and I told them that and they replaced my charging case cause it had stopped working.

17. SL4VE macrumors 6502

I went from store to AppleCare senior supper to emailing the CEO and then the customer relations manager contacted me.