Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
hey,

i just realised today that i have around 900mb before i run out of space on my hd :/ that's a bit too low for me..

anyway, my hd is 80 gigs. my home directory is 53 gigs. does anyone know where all my space is going?

my apps folder is 3 gigs, library is 11 gigs, and system is 1.1 gigs.

is library meant to be this big? does anyone else have any of their folder sizes so i can compare? (heh, sounds a bit weird i know..)

thanks,
asif

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I use a program called WhatSize. It shows you what's taking up a lot of space on your hard drive so you can delete stuff you don't need. Based on my own computer, I'd guess that maybe a lot of the space in your home folder is being taken up by your iTunes library. Do you have a big iTunes library?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Go to http://www.versiontracker.com and get DeLocalizer if you haven't already. This can remove up to 900 Mb of foreign-language resources from your OS.
CacheOut X is another program that's handy to have, it deletes various cache files.

These are not solutions to your Godzilla-like space requirements for iTunes, movies and photos ;) but they can get you a bit of breathing room.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

asif786

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
CanadaRAM said:
Go to http://www.versiontracker.com and get DeLocalizer if you haven't already. This can remove up to 900 Mb of foreign-language resources from your OS.
CacheOut X is another program that's handy to have, it deletes various cache files.

These are not solutions to your Godzilla-like space requirements for iTunes, movies and photos ;) but they can get you a bit of breathing room.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

great, thanks for the tips everyone. :)

i do wish i would've got a bigger hd now. i have another 40 gig porsche drive which is filled up too :/

as you said, those apps will give me a little breathing room until i can get a new hd.

thanks guys!

Applespider

macrumors G4
The Library seems pretty big. My user library is just under 1GB and the main Library is just under 5GB

If you did an Archive & Install, have you deleted your Previous System folders? Also worth checking that you've emptied the Trash in iPhoto - a lot of images can build up in there.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Applespider said:
The Library seems pretty big. My user library is just under 1GB and the main Library is just under 5GB

If you did an Archive & Install, have you deleted your Previous System folders? Also worth checking that you've emptied the Trash in iPhoto - a lot of images can build up in there.

thanks for the tips. i seem to be back up to around 5gb now, which is ok.

the library is big because of the garageband jampack i installed - it takes up around 7 gigs - plus the sample projects take up 2 gigs (i've deleted them now).

anyway, using delocalizer and whatsize let me see where the space is going. i thoroughly recommend these tools to anyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.