space for 7.12 to 8.02 move

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by boydk425, Oct 19, 2014.

1. boydk425 macrumors newbie

My wives 4s has very little space on it and I just realized it's still on 7.12 I'd like to update and was thinking I would just dump all the photos (using the button in iPhoto), do the update and then restore all the photo's. But, her iPhoto library has photos in it that are -not- currently on her iPhone so I'm not sure how I could restore only the photos there that are on the phone right now.

Or, is there a better way to temporarily make space for this update?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

3. boydk425 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, when I do the update in iTunes it says I need to free up space. The phone is a 16gb model and probably only has 50mb or so free.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Ouch.

Figure out which apps are taking the most space, delete them, do the upgrade, re-install the deleted apps.

You can set things up so iTunes only sync certain albums to the phone rather than the entire photo library. Just make sure everything's imported from the phone first so you don't risk losing any photos. (should be backing them up regularly anyway)

5. boydk425 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I'm nervous about loss of data in apps. If I suggested this to the phones user the reaction might be more dramatic. (I back the phone automatically to iCloud and do a weekly dump to iTunes on my mac mini, which is time machined off to two separate USB drives)

Dear apple; please give iTunes/iphoto the ability to look at the 3200 pictures on my wifes phone, store them, delete them and then restore only those pictures after an update. If I could delete these photos (which are 80% of her memory use, probably not unusual), do the update and restore just photos, this would be easy. Command line anyone..? 7.12 for the foreseeable future.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Already there; validate / test before trying anything destructive of course, I'm not at my mac so I can't verify the below is 100% correct.

1. Import all photos to iPhoto, clear out iphone camera roll.
    2. Categorize photos into two or more Albums in iPhoto.
    3. In iTunes set phone to sync only a subset of photo albums rather than all.
    4. If not enough space on phone, deselect one or more photo albums and sync phone.
    5. Perform update.
    6. Reselect photo albums and re-sync phone.

7. boydk425 thread starter macrumors newbie

Her phone has ~3200 pictures, and the iPhoto library ~4000 pictures from various sources... I don't really have time to manually select the 3200 I would need and I don't really trust myself to choose those with certainty.

Is there a way to export the library (for later restore) initialize it, then import the phone, do the update, then restore the new library of only 3200 to the updated phone, then restore the original library of 4000 to iPhoto ? (you can see why I think there should be a programmatic answer for updates, right? ;)

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

With 3200 photos do you think she's going to notice if you miss a few? :)

I haven't messed with iphoto in a while as I've typically been using aperture, but I'd imagine there's some form of "last import" category or just import all the photos into a new album.

You might be able to create the album from within the phone too, see what options are available under photos/collections. You may just need to explore around a little.

Or follow the first suggestion about finding any large apps without local data and handle those.

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

So glad I have at least 92GB's free... :D:D Sorry I had to say it....

I hate going through my iPhone's photos...I like to keep everything as is so I just keep buying bigger iPhone's..lol

10. boydk425 thread starter macrumors newbie

Having made the promise, I'm going to be certain ;)

So here's what I did (test with my 5c);
    -In iPhoto go file/switch to library and in the dialog click create new, this was my library to use once for just the current photos.
    -sync the phone to the new library getting just the photos I want there.
    - delete all photos on the phone

On the 4s here is where I do one last backup to the mac in iTunes, delete all pictures, update the 4s and then;

-in iTunes click the iPhone icon, click photo setting, enable sync photos all photos events and Faces and checkbox for include videos. And that puts just the photos I want back on the phones. (after one sync I then unchecked that because I don't normally sync photos using iTunes myself). Then
    -restore iphoto to the regular library in file/switch to my original library by selecting iPhoto Library.

I understand apple wants to make money on RAM. But this is a UE defect in their product. When I want to update my iPhone, I should be able to plug it into my mac and have that done in minutes with a few clicks. I've paid for a premium user experience, this ain't that. -Boyd Kneeland

PS And actually this has re organized the photos on my phone into the split events on my Mac. So, not a solution. She'll continue running 7.12, I have a house to rent out and a job hunt to ramp up. I will be replacing her 4s in the next year, not sure about apple for that at this point.