Space Geek Alert: Leonid Meteor Shower Tonight!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Nov 16, 2009.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I stood in my driveway with my neighbor a few years ago and watched the Leonids, and they were amazing! Even with the city lights we must have seen hundreds of Meteors. So get your butts out of bed early, or don't go to bed at all, and check out natures fireworks!

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/091116-leonid-meteor-shower-2009.html

Viewers Guide for different parts of the world: http://www.space.com/spacewatch/091113-2009-leonid-meteor-shower.html

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Man! I wish I could see them. I live in the city and all the lights make it nearly impossible. :(

3. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Yeah I am in a craphole country that has clouds covering the sky for half the year. I miss seeing stars.

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'll check it out while im taking my dog out tonight. If I had the motivation and it didn't snow slush all day id probably take my cam out.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Im hoping the clouds move away. They are spotty now.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

9. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I feel your pain. Over here in santa clarita it's not much better than inglewood. :p I'm gonna go outside again in a few minutes to see if it's any better. I was outside for like 15 minutes and didn't see anything but stars.

11. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Stupid clouds and City lights!!. I once saw a meteor shower in 2000 or 2001 with a great display of the Northern Lights. That was probably the coolest natural thing I have ever witnessed. On a side note I also have seen an iridium flare (not natural) in the Boundary Waters back in 2005. My sister did see the International Space Station last Thursday outside her apartment.

12. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well so far I've seen 1 :). It's a little cloudy here, and despite driving around for 45 minutes I still can't seem to find a spot to try to watch them. Call me a wuss if you must, but I just get freaked out sitting alone on some back country road in the middle of nowhere VA in the dark. I usually last 5 minutes and then drive away. :)

I watched from my front lawn for about 10 minutes, and saw 1 through the clouds. Im gonna wait about 45 and try again, their supposed to peak around 4.

13. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Danville is some back country. Been through there a couple times. I'm afraid out here I won't see crap.

14. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Danville it-self isn't so bad, but when you start taking all these back rounds into the "County" as they say round here (Im from NJ) It starts to get freaky at night. You never know what, or who might come out of the bushes, complete with shotgun or something. :)

As for the meteors I don't have the patience to stand on my lawn for an hour staring at the one open spot in the clouds to see 1 meteor. Im going to bed! :)

15. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Should have gone to Palmdale or Lancaster....haha :D

16. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Lol wouldn't have done you any good. While I could see stars, I didn't see one meteor. I was out there for like an hour too. :(

17. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

If anybody is interested in finding out when the International Space Station is going overhead here is a website that may come in handy.

http://www.heavens-above.com/

You can see where the ISS is in relation to your location.