Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
ding ding ding

100% why apple replaced the slate

I personally think it's sexy. Reminds me of the black iPhone 4, which at the time, was the best looking iPhone to date, IMO

This may actually be true. Taking a close look at the design it has uncoated chamfers. While the wear resistance of the chamfers was increased in the updated manufacturing process they were still a weak point. So basically "space gray" is their "version 3" production process. First they added more glass blasting to the prep and now they are removing the chamfer anodizing entirely.

I don't like the new color though

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I actually prefer the old slate color, the gray is just too much of a contrast between the two colors. For the same reason I dont really like the gold because of the white in the glass areas.

----------

Is Space Grey actually replacing the Slate color or is it just another option like the Gold?

It's replacing it

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
I much prefer the space gray color.

The old slate was the ugliest iPhone there has been - it made me buy a white iPhone for the 1st time ever

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
It's good coming from the Iphone 4 > 4S I felt it looked the same.

I hope it doesn't scratch as bad as the Iphone 5.

Not sure why they axed the colour though be interesting to see if the slate colour comes with Ipad 5.

----------

Is Space Grey actually replacing the Slate color or is it just another option like the Gold?

Replacing it.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I was never happy with the iPhone 5 colors and I'm not really on board with the 5S colors either.

I wish there was a good old solid black 5S. Since there isn't the Silver 32GB iPhone 5S is in my very near future.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Even scuffed, I'd prefer it to Space Gray from the looks of it.

In the 5S marketing material on there, I had to double-take the Space Gray because I thought it was a 4S

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
What does everyone else think of Space Gray replacing Slate? Is the new color too boring?

This video also has high resolution video of the new phone:

http://youtu.be/8yVfdsTi92A

I really liked the slate iphone 5 when it was released. It had a stealth bomber matte look with a hint of blue that was just amazing.

The new one looks boring. It's gray. Boring gray. It's so boring that it actually takes color and contrast away from anything reflecting off of it. It bores me even looking at pictures of it.

Is anyone else bored by this new color?

Do you have a side by side photo comparison of space gray next to the slate? I can't tell the difference.

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I think it's boring as hell but I tend to think that most gray things are boring as hell. I'm glad that those who like it like it! I'll be going white or champagne...still haven't decided 100% on that one yet.

GALAGA

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2013
vegas
I think the dark grey with black looks pretty cool, but who cares we all going to put a aftermarket cover on it anyways which will make it cooler!!;)

Ticktock123

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
What does everyone else think of Space Gray replacing Slate? Is the new color too boring?

This video also has high resolution video of the new phone:

http://youtu.be/8yVfdsTi92A

I really liked the slate iphone 5 when it was released. It had a stealth bomber matte look with a hint of blue that was just amazing.

The new one looks boring. It's gray. Boring gray. It's so boring that it actually takes color and contrast away from anything reflecting off of it. It bores me even looking at pictures of it.

Is anyone else bored by this new color?

Gold is by far the most tacky. It looks like a phone for puff diddly.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Again Apple fixed the slate scuffing issue in May 2013 . . .

I really am very pleased your iPhone 5 is in good condition, but I personally think you got a little lucky.

I'm also not putting up the bunting to celebrate a fix now. I'll wait until some real life experiences are reported with the 5S models in the wild.

Last edited:

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Do you have a side by side photo comparison of space gray next to the slate? I can't tell the difference.

boring.jpg

Reminds me of this:

r23543v15.jpg

Dremel%20Driver3.jpg

Except it's even more boring because there's no blue:

GraphiteiPhone5Sevleaks.jpg

The gray iPhone 5 doesn't seem to be thought of as very attractive even by Apple's web guys, the back is actually hidden in pictures or they only provide high contrast close ups in any of the photos.

Last edited:

CBillups1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Michigan
Apple changed the of anodizing the slate iPhone 5 in May of 2013 so that it no longer has the same wear and tear issues as the launch day iPhone.

My iPhone 5 has been treated like absolute junk with no rear protective case and still looks 100% brand new.

incorrect

bought mine after that date from tmobile, so did my brother, and my buddy. all of us got black/slate

mine is scratched and dinged up like a mofo and i havent even done much to it. so yea..

----------

Probably. I haven't experienced denting, but I believe it from its feel.

mine has a dent in the back and i havent dropped it. DEAD SRS

most random and weirdest thing ever :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.