Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cattledog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
california
Picked up my iPhone 6s today. The space gray doesn't look anything like my iPhone 5 space gray. It looks more like silver. Big difference side by side with my iPhone 5. Is everyones like this or did someone mess up and put a silver back on mine by accident?
side by side.jpg

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Picked up my iPhone 6s today. The space gray doesn't look anything like my iPhone 5 space gray. It looks more like silver. Big difference side by side with my iPhone 5. Is everyones like this or did someone mess up and put a silver back on mine by accident? View attachment 586209

where have you been? the black hasnt been like that since the 5.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah. The 5 was slate and the 5s they changed to space grey. They did it because the chamfered edges and back on the slate nicked easily.

Reactions: jermy4

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Welcome to Apple's 50 shades of Space Grey!

I'm seriously disappointed that they can't seem to (or won't) match the shades of Space Grey across their product lines. Space Grey should all look the same and be as dark as it is on the Apple Watch.

This is very true. My first 6 was the darkest phone I have had. My replacement was much lighter. My MacBook is much much darker than the phones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
nope thats the new SG.
Well, not that new at this point. In fact the SG on the watch and iPods, which is newer, is somewhat different and darker...to bad they didn't use it for 6s phones.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
It has been so long since I bought the iPhone 5, I guess I forgot that it was black & slate. Thank you for the correction.

I didn't mean to sound like a smart a** if it came that way.

I agree the space gray now on the 6 and 6s is way too light compared to the 5s space gray. That darn scuff gate ruined it for us. Slate was the best color apple ever came out with. I'm hoping with the new aluminum, we could see a dark iPhone again on the iPhone 7! Enjoy the new phone, that's a big upgrade from the 5.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I was really expecting the iPhone to match the Apple Watch, which is a gorgeous dark color. When I saw that wasn't going to be the case, it cemented the Rose a Gold as my color choice. I'd been wanting to switch up to a lighter bezel but if they had come out with a dark space grey I would have been very tempted to stay with SG. I loved my black IPhone 4 and my husband's slate iPhone 5--but boy did that look a hot mess when the color started flaking off like cheap paint.

Reactions: evorc

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
One of the reasons I got silver this time. The black iPhone is really not black. I wished it was much darker to compliment the black bezel.
I love the white iPhone, and the only way I will ever go back to the black is if they give us a true all-black phone.

Sean76

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2013
NYC
Apple is all over the place with their Space Gray these days...The Apple sport watch looks bluish black, the Mac Book is a dark slate gray, the iPhone is only just a shade darker than their silver, and the iPad is simply dark gray.

I like the Mac Book gray honestly

Reactions: na1577

cattledog

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
california
I didn't mean to sound like a smart a** if it came that way.

I agree the space gray now on the 6 and 6s is way too light compared to the 5s space gray. That darn scuff gate ruined it for us. Slate was the best color apple ever came out with. I'm hoping with the new aluminum, we could see a dark iPhone again on the iPhone 7! Enjoy the new phone, that's a big upgrade from the 5.

No offense taken. Thank you for the correction.

Oakmhcky21

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
When i got the 6 i thought they gave me a black front and silver back phone. I really liked the sate black from the 5, but kinda ocd and like all my apple stuff being silver.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
If they had made a black metallic or anything black for the S model this year I would have upgraded my 6+. I want a black phone again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.