Space Gray Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Trackpad Are Currently Sold With iMac Pro Only

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

While I am always tempted by the sleekness of black keyboards (especially black and aluminum), I can't even count the number of other black keyboards I've replaced due to how quickly the keys develop that nasty wear/oil shine. I probably get a new one at work every 6 months.

Keeping the ones decent looking on the MBPs is a nightmare. While the white ones may not look as visually appealing, the one magic keyboard I'm currently using still looks brand-new.

2. leVel macrumors regular

Show me your ways Jedi Master

3. cast128 macrumors regular

cast128

Part number please?

4. Iogre macrumors newbie

Please show me your ways...I just contacted the help chat but they were unable to assist.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2017 ---
    Could you provide a little more details? I have been wanting this for years.

5. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Exactly! The question is how long will it take for them or other entrepreneurial players to offer nearly the exact same look of the pro with the regular iMac... and for only $XXX and 2-4 weeks?

You know, for those that might want to fake it instead of spending at least $5K.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Denied! Now I'm going to have to buy a new iMac!

7. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

They could have been offering this for years if they want to. It's not like they need Apple to release a color in order to paint a keyboard that same color.

8. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Yes but now there will be many possibly wanting to fake it, and even in this thread, there seems to be a willing market wanting to buy the mouse, keyboard, etc in the new color. Since apparently Apple doesn't want that money, entities like that may fill that market want until Apple comes around.

9. dbrewer80221 macrumors regular

They were released earlier this year, with the 2017 lineup refresh announced at WWDC. I upgraded to one when I bought my new iMac.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Watch these go for crazy prices on eBay as pro buyers ditch them for better keyboards.

11. sillycyber, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017

sillycyber macrumors newbie

sillycyber

Space gray must be the color of Steve Jobs rolling over in his grave.

What's the game Apple?

We can't even backorder space grey peripherals, so that you can pursue a puerile marketing ploy to make big spenders feel exclusive and elite?

Your exclusive coordinated line-up is blatant hypocrisy.
    • You ended your Thunderbolt display line w/o suitable replacement options.

• As a result, for my 2015 iMac, I had to buy two Apple recommended Dell monitors, which are both aesthetically and functionally mismatched with the iMac.

• I've only had my iMac 2015 for four months, due to how long you dragged out the product refresh, but now I can't get the space grey keyboard and trackpad, after just spending $6000 on your products?

Really Apple? You're going to punish me for your flubs and greed?

With this release of the color-coordinated space gray iMac Pro peripherals, you re-assert your recognition that coordinated peripherals are important to your consumers, which, by the way, is not a new concept for Apple.

So shame on you for your the inconsistency, mixed-messaging and petty games at our expense.

Apple: You're rich and prestigious enough to avoid resorting to such petty opportunism.

===================================================
    My new monitors not only lack aesthetic integration, but also lack functional integration.
    • Magic Keyboard brightness key doesn't control my Dell 4K monitors

• STILL Unresolved in macOS months later.

• There is a software protocol (DDC/CI) to handle it, which I know, because a flaky 3rd party github Mac app (e.g. security risk), that quits periodically can do it.

• Now, I live with considerable hassle to change the brightness of my monitors uniformly, which is a big step backward from my former iMac + Thunderbolt display

• Apple: Don't you think the $6000 I spent altogether for my iMac this year should get me a functional brightness adjustment? Yet meanwhile you taunt me with a keyboard I can't buy?
    ===================================================

Do you see how sleazy that seems Apple?

Speaking of keyboards, how about some functional consistency there too?

I would reluctantly forgo the cosmetically appealing space gray keyboard and accept a white keyboard, with the same butterfly switches you put in your latest laptops! Why can't we get the same light-touch for the iMac and enjoy a uniform keyboard experience across your line of computers?

12. ignatius345 macrumors 68000

Yeah, there's not much of a drawback to having a USB keyboard, and that means one less li-ion battery in existence. I think that ship has sailed, though -- it's hard to buy *anything* these days that doesn't have a built-in battery and wireless hardware built in.

13. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

14. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

For buying replacements, iMac Pro owners can just contact AppleCare or visit their local Apple Store or AASP.
    No need to offer those iMac Pro Peripherals separately for sale to everyone.

This.

Just the way it is with Apple Watch Bands that only come with a specific model (e.g. sports band with gold or rosegold pin), owners of those will of course get replacement. Why should iMac Pro be any different?

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

No

16. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Will vary depending on your localisation.

17. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I totally get Apple's mercantilistic courage to not sell the black Magic Mouse as a standalone peripheral. It's not like they also make space grey MacBook Pros or anything. smh