Space Gray Sport Scratching Question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Drew888, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Drew888 macrumors 6502a

Drew888

Question for those of you that have a Apple Watch Sport - Space Gray...

Does the case scratch easily? I currently have a Apple Watch (42mm SS with Black Leather Loop)

Stainless Steel scratches easily, but can also be polished out. It doesn't look like polishing is an option on the aluminum.

Thanks in advance!

2. mac.cali macrumors 65816

Depends on what you define as easily. Some say it's fine for daily use and others opted for the SS due to the harder material and easier scratch repair. But to each is own.

3. Sid6581 macrumors newbie

I have managed to scratch mine up a bit after a couple of weeks wearing it. Screen and case both. It's impossible not to. Personally, it doesn't bother me - especially since it's a first gen product and I expect I'll be replacing it relatively quickly. Wasn't going to spend the extra $$ on stainless this time around.

4. mixstar336 macrumors regular

Also had mine for a little over a month now and have no noticeable scuff/scratches. wear it and work out daily - hit it on a few walls and pillars while out on weekends and am pleasantly surprised.

5. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Seems like QC is all over the place - we got normal wear with scuffs/scratches and then we got mountain climbers with no damage

Guess I'm must going to for myself next week and see if I'm going to switch back to the SS watch

6. aufmobi macrumors newbie

aufmobi

No scratches or scuffs on my SG here after a month of use. I've banged it on doors and walls quite a bit too.

7. trooper1 macrumors newbie

trooper1

I have hit mine against walls and door jambs with no scratches! I have tried to be careful with my watch but accidents do happen. I am impressed with it so far.

8. rickko macrumors newbie

rickko

There are some really nice third-party VERY thin watch frames available that look REAL nice. Some are made for abuse and others just for looks. I got one for looks. Gotta say, very nice! Excellent quality. Its like having two watches. Swapping out the cover/frame takes about 1/2 a second. Buy 2 or three covers in different colors then you can change 'em according to your mood or event you are going to attend. Search for 'Apple Watch Cases.'

9. It's Electric macrumors member

It's more likely to be differences in user perception than QC. There's a lot of variation in how people define "normal use" vs. "rough use" and "looks fine" vs. "scratched a bit."

10. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I have the Space Grey sport and I used it for close to a month. I haven't changed any of my daily routine or taken any extra precautions and have worn it from morning to night and done various "chores" and repairs around the house with it on and I don't have a scratch on the face or the frame. What has gotten scratched though is the little metal button that goes through the band holes. But I would say that it is very resilient.

11. Drew888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Drew888

Thanks all. I was worried that if it does scratch, would the scratch/ding/whatever be the space gray color, or the regular aluminum color.

Meaning, not sure if the space gray is a coating, or the actual aluminum alloy is space gray

12. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

No issues here. Workout 4 days a week, bike, jog, and even box and not a ding nor a scratch.

13. andrewpturko macrumors regular

andrewpturko

The space gray color forms to the aluminum in the anodization process. The color isn't throughout the entire metal, but it's deep enough to avoid showing the natural aluminum color if moderately scratched.

14. redman042 macrumors 68020

None here but I have been careful and conscious of where my arm is. As for those who have experienced scratching, I've found from reading these forums that it all depends what you hit the watch against. Walls and doors shouldn't do any damage as long as you hit the wood or sheetrock. If you hit metal, you might scratch it depending on the metal you hit. If you hit concrete, rock, or granite countertops, you are probably going to find a scratch or even a chip. So be careful regardless of the watch you choose, and get AppleCare.