Space Grey Coating

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tk1337, May 11, 2015.

1. tk1337 macrumors member

tk1337

I'm enjoying my watch, I've been careful with it, basically wearing it to work, daily activities, nothing crazy, as I've had it now a week.

I noticed something yesterday, seems a speck of the SG coating has come off, I'm really not sure how, to my knowledge nothing has hit the watch, there are no scratches or anything around the small (yet noticeable) speck where the SG coating has come off. The watch being a week old, this bugs me, it is a small speck, but still...

Should I contact Apple? What would you do?

Attached Files:

2. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

It's barely noticeable, but I would visit an Apple Store and ask what they'd say.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

As ridiculous as it sounds, I'd contact Apple, especially if you're sure you didn't cause it yourself. I've worn mine for two weeks tomorrow and there's not a chip/scratch/dent or anything.

4. OlavA macrumors newbie

OlavA

I would contact Apple and see what they say.

They might want to know so they can track the lot number to see if there was a bad batch going through the system where the coating was improperly applied so they can monitor it.

If you get a replacement one they sell that as a refurbish.

5. tk1337 thread starter macrumors member

tk1337

good point about if it's a bad batch of the coating, I'll schedule something at my local store and have them check it out.

Honestly the placement of the speck is a bit odd, if it got scraped against something in that area I would kind of expect more damage to be visible, though to my knowledge it's never scraped anything.

6. OriginalClone macrumors regular

OriginalClone

Post an update when you do

7. OlavA macrumors newbie

OlavA

The placement of the chip is suspicious suggesting a coating issue for sure.

We'll be interested to hear what Apple has to say.

8. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

This worries me a little. I did get Apple care though. If I scratch it and that happens it will bug me for a day or two but if it happened and I wasn't the cause I wouldn't like that.

9. rsxmachine macrumors 6502

just use a black marker on it if you don't want to go through the hassle of contacting apple

10. jjlannoo Suspended

Just wait a few months and you won't notice that speck with all the other wear marks you will have. It will get a cool worn look

11. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Contacting Apple seems silly.
    In a month's time a whole bunch of those marks will appear. It's just delaying the inevitable..again and again.

12. Jrdn13crvr macrumors regular

Exact reason why i returned mine for the white sport- i baby my devices, not a scratch on my silver iphone 6, but i magically had a scrape on the space gray after a day? No way- returned to apple easily and now i am june 5-18 for a 38 white and june for a 42 white but it looks like i may get the 42 first- 4/30 order

13. wdfly macrumors regular

14. wepiii macrumors 6502

Exactly what I came here to say.

15. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

That's a bummer I would call Apple, these things aren't cheap. I love the SG Sport look but this was the reason I decided to go with the White Sport with Sport black band. I'm rough with my watches and feel a SG would look pretty noticeably scuffed/scratched up after a while.

So, would any damage to the SG casing show up as silver/lighter?

16. wdfly macrumors regular

lol wouldn't be the first time i've used anno by sharpie.

17. AaronG123 macrumors regular

My space grey watch came with a mark, it is where the anodise has came off, similar to the iPhone 5 scenario. In my case though, I believe when the machine was blasting the aluminium it missed a bit (due to positioning).
    Sent mine back for a replacement, got a 2-3 week wait ahead of me... Fun times!

18. McPhallus macrumors regular

This is why I'll *never* buy anything with a coating, no matter what the manufacturing claims are, how it rates on the silly mohs scale, or how good it looks. Coatings always come off.

----------

If you haven't already, run your fingernail over the spot. If you feel a "dip,". Then it's definitely a gap in the coating.

19. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

My brand new space gray had a similar chip in it out of the box, albeit not as big as yours. It was in the same general area as well. Right along that seam. Doesn't matter to me because I'm returning it and buying a 42mm.

20. AaronG123 macrumors regular

21. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Watches are wrist worn devices. Wrists move a lot. They touch a lot of things. And your arms swing when you walk.

People are fanatical (and I am one) about their pristine, unblemished Apple devices, which are often cased, skinned, or otherwise protected.

The expectation that nothing will happen to an Apple Watch is very unrealistic. It is part of what gives a regular watch character. However, most regular watches have a raised bezel protecting the face of the watch. Apple watches are going to show wear and damage. The sport will ding and chip. The stainless steel will scratch. And people will damage screens.

It's going to happen. And it's not Apple's fault.

22. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

Same thing on brand new IPad Air. When I got home opened the box I noticed a speck like this one and went back next day and  employee told me that's normal for some iPads to have a small nick. I wanted another and they refused to swap it outcast basically told me it's more trouble than it's worth. I left with this thougt: if I ever receive another  product with ANY damage I'm pushing this issue. Every time I looked at the iPad I saw it. Same small nick on the space gray iPad Air.

I would for sure go to  (you will have to wait to receive another watch) but you will look and see the nick every time you look at your watch. That would drive me nuts

23. Hankkk macrumors regular

I just received my Watch and I have exactly the same small nick on it. Even at the same spot. It doesn't bother me too much as it's barely noticeable, but I'm afraid the coating could further peel off because of air moisture or moisture in general. Did you already contact Apple?

24. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

You left with that answer of an Apple employee? LOL

I would have escalated the case in a friendly manner. It's not acceptable to have dings or scratches (out of the box!) on a premium product which has such a focus on design.

25. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

I pussed out ROk 73. Next time no chance of wimpy attitude.