Space Grey - Does it scratch like the black 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mazz0, Nov 21, 2013.

1. mazz0 macrumors 65816

mazz0

A friend's choosing which 5S to get. I couldn't recommend getting a 5 in black to anyone who doesn't plan on keeping it in a case due to how scuffs show up on it. Since the 5S has been out a while can people tell me how well it's stood up to wear compared with a black 5? Specifically people who had issues with their black 5 scuffing up - if you managed to keep your black 5 pristine without a case then... wow.

It doesn't matter much since my friend intends on putting it in a nasty ugly case, but I'm still curious.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The anodization is equally susceptible to normal wear and tear, but it'll be less obvious on Space Gray as it's a lighter color (much like the white/silver version).

3. Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

I would also like to know this as I don't want to put a screen protector on the back of my 5S because of the 'bubbles'/outlining you get of the iPhone text on the back (yes, I'm that obsessed with these things).

Having had my Space Grey 5S for a week, so far I've had no scratches/marks yet.

4. Camoxide macrumors regular

My black 5 hasn't actually got any scratches.

But it has got a dent on the top.

Curse you aluminium...

5. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I never had any issues with scratching on my black 5 backing, it was the chamfered edges which were made of butter. I had some actual chips in a couple of spots. So far my 5s is holding up pretty good, but I've got a case on it this time.

6. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

Exactly. Small scratches are less noticeable on the 5S, but it's still quite easy to mark up a brand new device after only a few days/weeks.

Moral of the story: Enjoy your new 5S and forget about any wear/tear. You bought the device to use, not as a collector's item.

7. FAJV macrumors newbie

The aluminium around the black 5S is not painted so it will not scratch.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

The 5S is no different than the 5 and can and will scratch. Aluminum is quite soft and the ano will not protect it.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Hmmm, nope.

[​IMG]

10. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

11. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Yes, I noticed that space gray does scratch like the slate, but its not as noticeable.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's still the same anodization coating.

13. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

The 5s has zero coloured paint on it, it's silver so if scratched will only show silver which isn't half as noticeable as the 5 with its slate finish.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

False. Even the Silver (white & silver) 5s has an anodized coating.

15. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Okay, but the statement about it not showing up as much as on the slate I stand by, otherwise we'd have seen at least one badly scratched up/flaky space grey iPhone on these forums by now lol.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Keep in mind that the black and slate iPhone 5 that were scratching up/flaking like crazy around this time last year were from a batch with defective anodization. Apple has since fixed that quality control issue. Properly coated anodization on black and slate devices don't get to that state (mostly along the edge like in the photo above) until after a longer period of time and the black wouldn't rub off like crazy.

But, yes, normal wear and tear wouldn't show up as much on Space Gray because it's a lighter color.

17. oVerboost macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I was disagreeing just saying it wouldn't be as bad on the 5s as a slate 5. :)

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Without a case, it's going to scratch.
    It's aluminum ....