Space Grey iPhone 8 vs Matte Black & Jet Black iPhone 7 - which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Arcontia, Oct 10, 2017.

?

Favourite recent black-faced iPhone?

1. Matte Black iPhone 7

18 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Jet Black iPhone 7

34 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Space Grey iPhone 8

20 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Arcontia macrumors regular

Been quite a few changes in regards to the black-faced iPhone the last couple of years. Which do you prefer the most?

I think the Matte Black iPhone 7 looks the sleekest of them all, while Jet Black was unique enough to deserve to stay on. Both of these were marked as selling points in last years iPhone 7 so its really disappointing to see them take it away so soon. I get why JB isn't back because of the new material, but why not just carry over iPhone 7's Matte Black aluminium frame? So many people said they loved Matte Black last year, but ah well.

At least iPhone 8's Space Grey isn't the 6/6s Space Grey.

Which do you prefer the most?

2. davelees76 macrumors member

When brand new the Jet Black is the best looking but

1. The jet black gets micro scratches super easy

2. The iPhone 8 is a superior phone.

3. Arcontia thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously it is, but I'm just here gauging some opinion on which finish people think looks the nicest :)

4. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Jet black for me as it reminded me of the 3G and 3GS that I had owned previously. Was a great looking phone when brand new out of the box.

I'm currently have the 8 Plus and reminds me...of course the 4 and the 4S.

5. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

I don't have an 8 but I think the space grey 8 with the glass back looks very nice. That would be my preference anyway.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Jet black.

I’m really going to miss how it looks when I get my X.

After a year, it does have micro scratches, but nothing you can see without looking for them. I love the finish.

7. Ayemerica macrumors 65816

Ayemerica

I never had a chance to own an iPhone 7, since it wasn't really worth it to me but I didn't get the black iPhone for the first time BECAUSE of not having a jet black option.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I'm going to opt for the matte black. I like the undertone look to it. I thought it was one of Apples better colors within the last year.

9. Arcontia thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. Very stealthy

10. xsimplyjosh macrumors regular

iPhone 8 Space Grey > iPhone 7 Matt Black > iPhone 7 Jet Black
    Just my personal opinion. Not a fan of Jet Black getting microscratches I'm an OCD for that matter.

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Damn! I should probably get around to getting rid of my 7 then, huh?

12. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

Loved the way my matte black 7 looked, hated how slippery it was. It felt like it had even less texture than the space gray finish used on the 6S and ended up being the first iPhone I kept in a case full time. I love the shade of gray Apple went with for the 8. But, I don’t like how they tried to color match the glass back to the frame. It just ends up looking kind of muddy to me, like Apple didn’t quite put enough paint under the glass to make it black. I wish Apple had embraced the glass sandwich design a bit more and made the glass back full on black like the front.

Ideally, I wish Apple had done an “iPhone 4 tribute” black model with black on the front and the back, a silver aluminum band, camera ring, and Apple logo. I would have bought that in a heartbeat! The space gray is fine, but doesn’t have that wow factor.

13. charlyee macrumors 6502

charlyee

My preference is the Matt Black of the 7 series, of course I am biased since I have the 7 + in Matte Black.

14. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I'm with you here. I can't fathom why they finally caved in and brought black back into the lineup with not just one, but two models then ditched it again the following year. The seamless look of the jet black was incredibly popular with the non-OCD (MR version) crowd.

15. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Space Gray for me. Although I do have to say, even though I initially disliked matte black, I actually came to really like the color after using the 7 for a year.

Jet black is awesome as well, but I would never get it due to it showing micro scratches so easily (I never use cases on my iPhones).

16. xxray macrumors 6502a

iPhone 7 Matte Black purely for looks. Jet Black and 8 feel better in the hand, in my opinion, because they're easier to grip, but I like the 7's Matte Black look best.

17. nilk macrumors 6502a

Jet Black 7 has the best grip out out of all the current phones (though SE has an advantage because it's smaller). The 8's glass back is grippy, but the sides are still slippery aluminum. That said, they are all too slippery and I'd end up using a case anyway, but it's nice to have at least a little grip so I have the option of going caseless on occasion.

Purely on looks, I want to say the Jet Black (I own one, scratches don't detract from this), but honestly haven't spent much time looking at the matte black 7 (not interested in a slippery phone). Silver/white is the best 8 color and what I would get if going with an 8/8+, the black 8/8+ is unimpressive.

18. Mick_ag macrumors newbie

Matte black. Classiest iPhone ever along 4/4S.

19. Damon2 macrumors regular

Matte Black easily.

Looks the best and felt nice.

Not sure why the hell i'd want a glossy phone.

Wished Apple had frosted glass e.g. Xperia Z5.
    Would be the closest we'll get to Matte Black and a nice little tribute.
    [​IMG]

Thats how the Z5 looked with Frosted glass in grey and it was beautiful .

20. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Features over similar color(s). Give me the 8.

21. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Matte black .. i have the jet black 7 plus which i switched from the matte version and it was one of the worst decisions i have made

22. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Space Gray because glass > than metal.

1. Space Gray
    2. Matte Black
    3. Jet Black

23. mrklaw macrumors 68020

I don’t understand why Apple don’t do a simple black. The space grey 8 is better than the 6, but a step back from the 7 Matt Black.

One reason for the X I’m considering the silver