Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodle15

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Just wondered how many people have the space grey and have no issues with the back panel scratching. How scratch resistant is the space grey models?

iFrancis

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2013
I feel they would scratch quite easily, i got my iPad Air yesterday and i put a case on it straight away.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I feel they would scratch quite easily, i got my iPad Air yesterday and i put a case on it straight away.

Do you feel or do you know ?
I've put mine in the Smart Cover immediately, but it seems quite resistant to me (I have the Silver one)

dsquarius90

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
I have owned every full-size iPad. With iPad and iPad 2, I obsessively protected them with all manner of cases. Full-body Invisibleshield, Otterbox Defender, Apple Smart Case, Speck Folio...you name it. Then with iPad 3, I decided to just "wing it" and use it case-less.

Did that with iPad 3, iPad Mini, and now my Space Grey iPad Air. No scratches, because these things are durable. It goes everywhere with me and gets set down on counters and thrown into my messenger bag (I'm a college student). Two months in with zero scratches and I don't expect any.

So just let it go and use it. If you are careful with your electronics and you have some form of insurance, too (renters, AppleCare, or otherwise), just use it without a case.

So, short answer is "no, it does not scratch easily."

I'll include a picture of the back of my iPad for proof (used since launch day).

photo.JPG

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just wondered how many people have the space grey and have no issues with the back panel scratching. How scratch resistant is the space grey models?
I have an original iPad mini (Graphite) that is now over a year old with no case. I have no scratches on the back.

Remember different people handle items differently and therefore will have different experiences with what scratching and such stuff might pick up.

jbud72

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I use only a Smart Cover on my Air and the back doesn't have one scratch. Like others said, it depends on how/where you use it. Mine rarely leaves the house (although gets used heavily there), for example, so the likelihood of scratches is minimal

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
No. Space Grey is much more durable than the previous black.

My iPad Air still hasn't seen a scratch.

But the people that do say they scratch easy probably work with construction.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
No. Space Grey is much more durable than the previous black.

My iPad Air still hasn't seen a scratch.

What is the previous black ?
Do you mean first gen iPad Mini ?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The anodized back of my Space Gray iPhone is scratch free, though the shiny Apple logo, top and bottom glass pieces, and the chamfered edges are definitely scratched.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you're worried about scratches then get a skin for it. I opted for the Ghost Armor both the front screen and the rear.

Maziar

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
I've had iPad 1,3 and now Air. I used a case with 1&3 but since getting the Air,I decided to go naked(because of it's weight) and no scratches so far.
I have the space gray version BTW

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
My iPad Air actually came with a couple of very tiny scratches on the back casing. I didn't notice them until I got home from Best Buy as I put it right in a case. Then I also have multiple light scratches on the bezel from putting on and removing cases. And I also have a long surface scratch on the screen (can't see it now as I have a screen protector). This iPad Air silver is probably the most scratched iDevice that I have owned. I am very careful with my electronics and keep them protected and clean with iKlear and clean microfiber cloths so I don't know why this iPad has been so scratch-prone. My iPad 3 was literally perfect when I traded it in. Not a scratch anywhere on it. Really bothered me at first with the Air but now I just have the Smart case on and a protector so I can't see the scratches.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I would imagine that it would have the same issues as the slate version with the chamfered edges getting scratched and chipped. However, it would be less noticeable than the slate in the same situation since the space gray is closer to the silver aluminum beneath it. Is this the case? When I had a slate iPad mini first gen it acquired small scuffs on the chamfered edges that were annoying due to the silver showing through … even though it was in a case its whole life. The slate seemed especially susceptible to scratching on the edges.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I would imagine that it would have the same issues as the slate version with the chamfered edges getting scratched and chipped.
I don't have any chips (or scratches) on my slate iPad mini. I'm not rough on it, however, I'm not totally gentle either.

Everybody has a different experience based on how they use and treat their electronics. Remember people who have had an issue are much more likely to post and scream rather loudly on the net. When I look at something to buy I do read the positive and negative reviews and then decide if the product is worth getting.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I don't have any chips (or scratches) on my slate iPad mini. I'm not rough on it, however, I'm not totally gentle either.

Everybody has a different experience based on how they use and treat their electronics.

The thing was, though, I kept my slate iPad mini in a case since day one and it never left my house. It was always used on soft surfaces, too. It seemed like the scuffs appeared from nowhere. The slate coating was probably overly-susceptable to coming off because of being on a polished surface. Hopefully the space gray is tougher, or at least camouflages scratches better on the chamfered edges. I'm planning on getting a space gray iPad Air next year because they look awesome! I just wish Apple would develop a scratch-proof coating for both the aluminum and the glass.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I have an invisashield on my Ipad mini w/retina. Insvisashield just came out w/ the new protectors for the back of the device which have a cutout for the microphone, but it does not protect the sides of the device like the protectors did for the original mini. Have a similar HD protector on the front.

The mini retina was expensive and the protectors give me piece of mind, b/c the device is used constantly and moved all over the place.

But i do have a ipad 2 w/o any protection, and it remains perfect. So I guess it's just personal preference. But I do think that with careful use and caring, the devices do hold up quite well.

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio

LOL. What about construction work automatically scratches iPads? A guy I work with in a hospital has an iPad 2 that is severely scratched up on the back. This is from moving it around while it's sitting on a table.

You never know what kind of grit you'll encounter on a horizontal surface so it's hard to predict how likely scratches will be. If you care about scratches, use a cover. If you don't, don't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.