Space Grey vs Space Black

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tl01, Sep 14, 2017.

1. tl01 macrumors 68020

They look pretty similar don't they? The stainless steel doesn't have much shine to it this time unless the photos are just deceiving.

2. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

Photos are deceiving. The ss in series 2 pictures look the exact same..matte

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

So we think the ss is still shiny?

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The stainless steel black has much more of a shine then the space gray Sport. The space gray sport is more of a matte black and the space Black is much more reflective with the shine. There is a definite difference between the two.

5. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

In person yes...but in the photos on Apple's website they look almost the same. I don't remember this in previous watches.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

As an owner of the space gray sport and space black stainless, those photos are nowhere near identical to what you will see with both watches. The space black stainless looks nothing like the space gray and it completely different shades of black. Again, the space black has a much higher shine to it and also has the diamond like carbon coating over it, where as the space gray sport, has a non relfective Matte finish to it. I Encourage you to go to a retailer or Apple store and compare both model side-by-side, as photos are nowhere near indicative of those shades of black.

7. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

We had exactly the same debate at original launch time, I'm 100% confident the SBSS will still be 'the Vader watch' in the metal.

8. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Definitely the best looking and so hard wearing.

Going from Series 0 to 3 so can swap the SB bracelet over. :)

9. jschu22 macrumors regular

If you have the means, its totally worth it. As stated earlier, it holds up extremely well and in some light the crystal almost blends in with the case making it look like one piece. The additional heft and scratch resistance of the sapphire are great bonuses too.

10. KarimLeVallois macrumors 68010

KarimLeVallois

Agree, the space black looks like an onyx on your wrist

11. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes, I have tried them both on in the stores... I do know what they look like... but when I was looking at the pics before ordering last night I was confused because they look so similar. I wonder why the apple photography make the SS look so matte.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

It's hard to tell with when looking at pictures on the Internet. If I were to make a expensive purchase with an Apple Watch, I would easily go in the store and see what they look like in person to make sure that's entirely what I want.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

How'd your Space Black hold up after all this time? Both the band and the actual watch? Ordered a space black...

14. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Honestly not one mark. That's why I haven't hesitated in getting the series 3 in the same colour.
    Though I do use a Sport when gardening, working, etc. But I have smacked it a fair few times and each time I've sheepishly looked at it and been amazed it has stayed immaculate!

Think it's the right time to upgrade to the latest gen after owning the first since launch and the best thing is the original straps are still compatible because I love the SB bracelet.

15. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

I've been a SB wearer since day 1 and my watch is almost perfect. Some micro scratches on the watch body which are almost invisible, and I think we're caused by the SB Milanese band as it is equally tough as the watch.

I wore the link band before the SB Milanese was available and it acquired a couple of scratches which were also super hard to see.

So I've basically been wearing a SBSS watch every day for as long as they have been available and didn't hesitate in buying a S3 in the same finish.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I didn't think Apple was going to change the band port for the Series 3 Apple Watch. And even the next generation Apple Watch, I still see it being retained, because it works so well and Apple knows they are making a lot of money off the bands. Ultimately, you pay a small price point for Apple's bands, but you do receive the quality in return.