Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I got a brand new in box Space Grey 42mm... Got delivered this morning at work.
I put it up on Craigslist for fun...and someone just offered me $750 for it :O

So... I'm thinking to sell it and put in another $122 and get the SS. (In Canada, the SS is $779 x 12% tax = $872)

Anyone care to chime in to say whether or not that's worth it?

I'm not a watch guy.. But I do plan on using this for working out.
Now.... the thing is, I didn't pay a cent for this Apple watch sport - got it cause I won a competition! Would not have bought one otherwise.
So... is the SS worth $120 over the 'free' SG?

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
You could also just order a regular sport. I think my only concern with the SS is it is heavier. Or you could order another SG and wait for it to come in, I'm sure we'll see a large influx in the coming weeks.

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
The stainless steel is likely far more durable than the aluminum. The Space Gray Sport at the Apple Store I went to for my fitting had a dent in it already.

The reflection/glare on the sapphire covers seem to be excessive when trying to view the screen. This would be a point for the Sport version.

At my fitting, I didn't really see an issue with the weight difference so long as the watch wasn't paired with one of the metal bands, then it was noticeable.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Anyone here have both that can offer up their opinion?

I'm 25. I work in accounting/finance so I do wear suits - but I'm definitely not a sophisticated dresser lol.
I skateboard through downtown on the weekends with my baseball cap and skinny jeans haha

This is an odd question I know but I was taken aback that someone would pay $200 premium to have the watch now!

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
I was going to sell my SG on Craig list. Glad I didn't. Yes I could of made some money, but I'd rather have my toys. I don't want to be drooling over others watches. I say keep it and enjoy it.

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
I bought a SG 42 sport and got it launch and double my money selling it. I now have a SS w/ BSB on order. I initially wanted the SG but really like the SS model and all the different band options.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
You can get more than $750 on Craigslist if it is a 42mm. They are going around $1k

Camusrieux

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
I'm just posting here to remind my fellow Americans (which the OP is not, so no sweat there) that in our dialect of English, the color is spelled "gray." Don't give in to creeping Britishism! 1776, Paul Revere, and all that.

That is all.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I got a brand new in box Space Grey 42mm... Got delivered this morning at work.
I put it up on Craigslist for fun...and someone just offered me $750 for it :O

So... I'm thinking to sell it and put in another $122 and get the SS. (In Canada, the SS is $779 x 12% tax = $872)

Anyone care to chime in to say whether or not that's worth it?

I'm not a watch guy.. But I do plan on using this for working out.
Now.... the thing is, I didn't pay a cent for this Apple watch sport - got it cause I won a competition! Would not have bought one otherwise.
So... is the SS worth $120 over the 'free' SG?

YES, go get it man. I wouldn't miss paying $120 to upgrade. well worth it.

jjlannoo

Suspended
Oct 8, 2011
the stainless model is the better product construction wise. It will hold up much better to wear.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Sold.

Lol that was quick.
It literally came by UPS a few hours ago...and now I don't have it anymore.

Just ordered an SS BSB...June estimate...

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Sold.

Lol that was quick.
It literally came by UPS a few hours ago...and now I don't have it anymore.

Just ordered an SS BSB...June estimate...

I think you should order the white sports band stainless steel. Seems like it's moving quick in Canada.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Not a problem! I have both also on order. Which ever one comes first I'll keep and cancel the other.

I ended up canceling the black and reordering the sport... Haha

Although the I'm "only" paying $120 for the watch...it's still $300 that I'm taking out my pocket...and I can't justify that when, for $300 less I can get 80% of the experience... I can't see myself springing an extra $200 on a better watch band down the road...

So, back to the sport camp I go...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.