Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Having played a couple of missions of the new Space Hulk, I can honestly say that it's very much like the board game. Basically the only difference is not seeing dice rolling around. If you enjoy the board game as much as I do, it has a potential to become a worthy portable replacement.

On the other hand, the game does not go beyond that. The production value feels very low, which might be off putting to someone more used to the epic-ness of Dawn of War series rather than painted still miniatures and cardboard environment.

Still, it has just been released and hopefully, the game will be blessed with more gloriousness with future updates.:)

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I got this today for £16, although I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

It's rather sad seeing RPS not liking it, they certainly looked forward to it, as did I.

I'll have a look this weekend if I get the chance, I certainly have a soft spot for Warhammer and 40k PC games.

old-mac-man

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
Mind your own business.
I have bought and played Space Hulk and as far as I can remember, it is the same game play as the Amiga version. That's fine for me as I loved the Amiga version. Perhaps others were expecting more than a remake.

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I have bought and played Space Hulk and as far as I can remember, it is the same game play as the Amiga version. That's fine for me as I loved the Amiga version. Perhaps others were expecting more than a remake.

I was, it also handed really poorly on my system. Lots of lag spikes, no ingame music, no atmosphere. Poor models, effects, and animations.

I thought it was really boring, and I really like Warhammer 40K videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbOhvldNxmY

Terminator armour being paper thin was quite annoying. I got frustrated and left after about 25 minutes.

I'll go back to it eventually I guess, but I can't believe the poor quality when you look at the normal price being €27.99.

Shadowgun: Deadzone also runs in the Unit engine, an as a thirdperson shooter plays and runs so much better.

I think Space Hulk is super meh at the moment.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
this is a perfect copy of the board game, Terminator armour, in close combat, vs a gene-stealer is supposed to be "paper" thin, the gene-stealers were, at this time in games workshops lifespan (When Spacehulk was originally launched), not the watered down troops for the tyranids, but a nasty, insidious foe unto themselves.

im hoping this does well enough that they release new skins/models for the terminators (taking into account the newer styles of the models)

I would also like the two expansions of the 1st edition space hulk to be added, Gene-stealer and Death-wing, bringing new weapons, rules for standard space marines and gene-stealer hybrids.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
I was, it also handed really poorly on my system.

Agreed. The framerate is far from ideal and we are talking a few simple models in tight corridors. To my surprise, Bootcamped Windows 7 handles the game just as poorly.

Does AA work on your systems?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Agreed. The framerate is far from ideal and we are talking a few simple models in tight corridors. To my surprise, Bootcamped Windows 7 handles the game just as poorly.

Does AA work on your systems?

Can't say I even tried. The game had lots of lag spikes, and at one stage got stuck what looked like sub 10 fps. I just called it quits on my second try and left it.

They'll hopefully fix it in patches later, but I'm rather disappointed.

The fact that there isn't any music or environment sounds to create an atmosphere is also a huge negative. Besides the bit of vocals, and sound effects the game was dead silent almost.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Can't say I even tried. The game had lots of lag spikes, and at one stage got stuck what looked like sub 10 fps. I just called it quits on my second try and left it.

They'll hopefully fix it in patches later, but I'm rather disappointed.

The fact that there isn't any music or environment sounds to create an atmosphere is also a huge negative. Besides the bit of vocals, and sound effects the game was dead silent almost.

I feel the very same way. Furthermore, the low production value of the computer game is not likely to bring many new players to the board game, which is a pity.

But yeah, they fixed a lot in the first three patches the devs released, so far. It almost seems like they rushed the game a bit, but they are serious enough about the continual improvement of the game, which is good.:)

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
I noticed that, I wonder if it'll fix all the short comings of the current one. Which I haven't touched since the day it came out.

Same here. I was wondering, why the sudden interest in Space Hulk. Did the license went on sale or something?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
I love warhammer and 40k, but really Games Workshop have a bad habit of letting their IP get mangled in the PC games market.

There's a few Gems like the Dawn of War games, and then some utter tripe.
I still lament the failure that was Warhammer Online.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
I love warhammer and 40k, but really Games Workshop have a bad habit of letting their IP get mangled in the PC games market.

There's a few Gems like the Dawn of War games, and then some utter tripe.
I still lament the failure that was Warhammer Online.

Agreed!

It's a shame we don't get many titles from W a W40k released natively for the Mac. Games like Dawn of War and Space Marine both still retain a high fan-base, even after all those years.:)

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Space Marine is still going? I really enjoyed the multiplayer of that game, despite just being a third-person team-deathmatch with a little bit of base capping.

The good looked nice, and ran really well.

It's a real pity we've never gotten n FPS based on the Imperial Gaurd, or even other races.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.