Space issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by heinernoob, Dec 25, 2007.

1. heinernoob macrumors newbie

I might be in trouble here.

I have just found out that i only have 1 gig remaining of available space on my hard drive. I have an 80 gig Macbook, and thus far i cant imagine that i have even come close to the full 80 gigs. I have 30 gigs of music, a few pictures(less than 50), and i have World of Warcraft downloaded (3-6 gigs), and the student version of Microsoft office. Where has all the space gone?

I have checked and made sure that I do not have any previous systems laying around, I have also deleted programs that I do not use. But I still am left with only a gig of writable space remaining.

Any tips would be wonderful,
    thanks

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Download WhatSize? and see. In the meantime you can delete unused printer drivers and iLife apps (the GarageBand files take up several GBs in themselves).

3. heinernoob thread starter macrumors newbie

If i just got rid of GarageBand and decided that i wanted it back later, could i just reload it with the initial install disks? And would the iLife apps really be taking up that much space?

Oh and thanks for the response!

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

when you deleted files, did you empty the trash after? if you didn't you won't have the space back yet. other than that I would also vote for trying whatsize.

Edit: also you could try backing up all of you important things and reinstalling the OS without all of the extra languages and printer drivers, that would free up space.

5. heinernoob thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, i have deleted the trash. Also, when i upgraded to 10.5 i made sure that I didn't have any of the extra drivers or languages. It just doesn't make any sense that my music and few programs would take up this much space, but i downloaded the WhatSize application and it is showing how it all adds up.

Thanks for the help!

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Check your iTunes library for duplicates, and your movies folder(s) too. Sometimes you'll get multiple copies of files, and the chew up extra space.

7. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

the support files of the ilife suite take up a lot of hd space...i recommend only keeping the stuff that you really need.

8. IMcD23 macrumors regular

IMcD23

Iowa, United States, Earth, Milky Way, . . .
    Hey,

Google an app called GrandPerspective and select your whole drive to scan when it shows up. It will show you a visual perspective of your drive and what is taking up the most space.

IMcD23

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

deleting GarageBand won't do a dang thing - it's ~100MB. like emptyCup said, you need to get rid of the GarageBand audio files (this is all assuming you don't use GarageBand).

such files are in HD > Library > Application Support > Garageband. on my MBP with iLife '08, the Demo Songs are 403.7 MB and the Instrument Library is 1.52 GB. though i haven't ever deleted and then needed these files back, i'm sure they're on the iLife install CD in the GarageBand installer package or some similar package. additionally, if you're running Leopard, they should be available via Time Machine.