Space left on new 16 GB model?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by alligator34, Jul 4, 2012.

1. alligator34 macrumors newbie

I'm kicking around the idea of splurging on a new iPad (well, I've been kicking it around but it looks like I'll actually have the cash to do so soon). And am completely torn between doing a 16GB w/ 4G or a 32 with WiFi only.

How much space is left after iOS is installed? Are you down to like 12? Or is it more reasonable?

I don't have a smartphone and would love to do the 4G/GPS loveliness, but don't know how large iOS actually is.

Any advice from fellow non-smartphoners?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I went with the 16GB 4G version, and I kind of wish I went with the 32 or 64, 4G. iOS doesn't use anything more than 2GB I think.

Here is the current status of my iPad. Apps are taking up the most room, then video podcasts.

I'd still get the 4G version just because I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Attached Files:

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

For the 3rd Gen iPad, 32GB should be the minimum or sweet spot if you plan on downloading apps. If all you are doing is streaming and browsing the web then 16GB would be a better fit.

Apps that are tailored to the Retina Display take up a little more space.

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

After all my regular apps . Then 5 HD GAMES, my 16gb is almost full
    No room for videos

5. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I went with the 32GB wifi only. IOS 5 is a little over 4GB so if you get a 16GB you are left with 12GB to use. I knew I would put a lot of photos on it and some apps for graphics. Books are pretty small. I have about 70 Apps (10GB). Very selective on what Apps I put on. Like NCAA Basketball and Wimblemdon I only have when they are playing. Less than 100 songs. 6 Videos for traveling (8GB).

I have a little under 7GB left. It amazing because I have 4 times as much on my iPod and still have 5GB left. Like 180 Apps, over 2000 songs, etc.

Since the most places I go, have free wifi, I don't mind using that vs 3G. When I change my iPhone with a hotspot I will use that, as needed.

6. kaibob, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

kaibob macrumors regular

I have a 16-GB iPad 3. The settings app shows “capacity” as 13.3 GB and “available” as 12.0 GB. I assume that capacity is after IOS but before any apps.

BTW, I keep photos, music, and most other stuff on my 32 GB iPhone 4S. If it were not for that, I would have purchased a 32 GB iPad

7. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I have a 32GB wifi only model. I use mine for graphic design apps, portfolio apps mainly, with some music and a couple of games. I plan to use this as my portable computer when travelling and leaving my MacBook at home.

I have 17GB free. 6GB is for music, the rest are apps. I have three games, and they total about 3GB. If you don't have much need for movies, music and games, then 16GB should suffice.

8. alligator34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everyone. I plan on doing mostly streaming & surfing with it. I've gotten skilled at managing content with my 8gb iPod Touch and don't think that will be a huge deal.

Thanks again.

9. pcomac macrumors regular

so there is no way to delete the "document and data" of apps without deleting the apps?

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Nope, but some you can delete the data saved on icloud!

11. jojoba macrumors 68000

It really depends on how you want to use it. On my iPad 2, I never used more than 8GB (os included) and it still covered all my needs, which was primarily to carry my entire research library as well as being a digital notebook for audio and written notes. When I upgraded to 3gen I went with a larger size because I knew I wanted to put a lot of music and photos on there.

Are you likely to really need the 3G access?

12. 617aircav Suspended

I went with 16. I don't put movies on my iPad and only have light games. I put movies on an sd card when I travel and use a camera kit to transfer and watch as needed on the iPad.

13. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hi,

This is exactly why i did not go for the 16GB. Great if you dont like movies but I like to have a few on their plus tv shows. Its what I use the iPad for mostly :rolleyes: