Space occupied by other files and folders

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Captain Tonga, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Captain Tonga macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I recently ran Disk Inventory X and found that I have lost 50gig to 'Space occupied by other files and folders'.

I really don't know where to go from here. Any help would be great.

Thank you.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

3. Captain Tonga thread starter macrumors newbie

That's awesome man, I'll try what you've said and see what results I get.

Cheers.

4. Captain Tonga thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so upon repairing and re-indexing the disc it went down from 50 to 40, which is a plus. However I still can't find where this 40gig is. I used all of the apps you listed to try to identify where the space is going to no avail.

I am at a touch lost.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you look at all of the listed threads where others found solutions? Also, did you do the Finder search, as recommended?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

OmniDiskSweeper is probably the best I've found to find things like this. Did you check that it wasn't the MobileBackups volume, however? You didn't give much detail as to what you did from GGJstudios' post.

jW

7. Captain Tonga thread starter macrumors newbie

I disabled mobile backups with 'sudo tmutil disablelocal'.

The finder search came up with no massive files, the largest being a 3gig Starcraft file. I read through the other threads and ran through their solutions, without much success.

Disk Inventory X is now showing no space occupied by other files and folders however System Information shows 45gig devoted to Other. On investigation I can account for about 25gig (From Garage Band, Logic, Starcraft). But that still leaves 20gig a mystery.