Space on HD......where as it gone??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bulldog VII, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Bulldog VII macrumors 6502

Bulldog VII

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone can help me, I've got an iMac with a 160 GB hard drive on.

I have the usual programs & bits & pieces on & my available space left on my HD is only 40 GB. I think I managed to duplicate my HD & was wondering if anyone had any ideas where this could be hidden??

I only have 2 GB of pictures, 20 GB of music & my applications, documents only account for another 3 GB. So I should have loads???

Any help or comments would be appreciated

Thanks

2. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Give this a shot. I've tried it and it works. It scans the drive and shows the files on it in graphic form. The file info shows up when you mouse over them.
    http://www.derlien.com/

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've tried 'em all, and I always go back to OmniDiskSweeper.

A lot of the other products may not show everything depending on the permissions of the user running app. This is not helpful if you have a run-away log file in the wheel group!

No such issue with ODS. It's not pretty, but it doesn't need to be. Just give me the name, the size, and a navigable UI. Heck, it'll even delete the offending whatever for you (if you pay for the app, that is).

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidisksweeper/

4. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

The OS takes up 11 GB (well including some of your apps), and remember that the formatting takes away slightly less than 10% of the drive... that's around 10GB.

but yes, that still leaves 40 GB unaccounted for.

Check Disk Utility that's already installed ( Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility)
    See if you have a "missing partition or something...

Also you can always clone your drive, then reformat it as 1 partition then clone it back.