Space on my H/D & Itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dx052, Nov 21, 2009.

1. dx052 macrumors member

I currently have all my files on my main H/D on my MBP and also the same file in Itunes. Am I right in saying that its a duplication in that case & will take up twice the amount of space? and if thats the case is there an easy way to transfer all my Wav files on my laptop to Itunes instead of having them all over the place? Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the following is set in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced
    [​IMG]

then it is safe to assume, that all the music you imported (which is spread around on your MBP's HDD (Hard Disk Drive), is also in Users > you > Music > iTunes.

You can use Find Duplicate Files to ...., and Disk Inventory X to scan your HDD for all the space loss.

3. dx052 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, thats the way I have it in advance pref, is it safe to assume that I can delete the same files which I have duplicated on my main H/D? Thanks

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use Find Duplicate Files (link in my first reply) to find those duplicates and delete the ones, that are outside of your iTunes Music folder.

And for further information, you only have on HDD in your MBP. Maybe it is partitioned into several partitions/volumes, I don't know.
    But the music files residing in the iTunes Music folder are on the same HDD as the ones you used to import into iTunes.

So if you have music file A on the Desktop, drag it into iTunes it gets copied/duplicated and is file B and lives now in the iTunes Music folder.
    So you can delete file A, if you have a duplicate file B.