Space on my hard drive vanishing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenrifle7, Dec 22, 2013.

1. greenrifle7 macrumors newbie

This is really weird and I have no idea what could be causing it, but space on my hard drive has just been slowly vanishing over a long period of time. After all the applications I use and have on my MacBook now were installed, I had over 30GB free. That was several months ago. Now I have just over 10GB free with nothing since being downloaded or installed. When editing videos, I just keep all footage/project files on my external hard-drive. If I ever have files ACTUALLY stored on my MacBook itself, I will always delete them after the whole project is done and exported, then empty the trash. At first it's just not very noticeable, because space just disappears so slowly... But I've been through every folder, checked everywhere, and there is NOTHING on my MacBook that I didn't have on it when it had over 30GB free. How is this happening? I'm scared that down the road it'll just go down to nothing. And it's not because of updates either, because I've kept track of all updates I've made on all applications and the total amount of space taken from updates hasn't even been 1GB. So how is 20GB just gone!? PLEASE HELP! This is driving me crazy!

2. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

This may not be true but it is for you to keep in mind or research more into.

I have heard that when you delete items from your hard drive, the contents may look like they are gone, but the hard drive keeps the address to the location of that content hidden until IT HAS to overwrite it.

It could also be cached data from installed apps.

This is all me brainstorming right now, but maybe I helped spark some ideas. Hopefully you find a cure.

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Try those disk space analyzer (Disk Inventory X).

Is it Time Machine back up image that is taking up space?

4. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

This is the most common problem

- this is really common

Look at: Apple Menu-> About this mac -> Storage ->
    Is there a purple section called backups - this will be between time machine backups and these can be quite big, particularly if you haven't used Time Machine for some time.

If you aren't using Time Machine, then the screen will give you some clues as to where your hard disk is going without buying new programmes.

Also run disk utility to check for any errors and run a TRIM command for your particular SSD if you are using a SSD.

There may be some big cache files somewhere for those videos and these will often be quite big.

HTH SSM & Seasons Greetings

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

6. mac8867 macrumors 6502

It does indeed sound like the local time machine backups. I switch them off.

I also use "Grand Perspective" to figure out where my disk space is going. http://grandperspectiv.sourceforge.net/

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X