Space on the Hard Drive question.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by crocodilious, May 7, 2009.

1. crocodilious macrumors newbie

hey, when my mac mini came, about 25GB of space had been used up. i didn't question this as of course the machine came with installed applications and data etc. i've had my mac mini for a while now and obviously i've used up much of the hard drive, but i checked how much i had used up and i made it 58GB. The total space is 74GB and i've got 3GB left. So where has the other 12 GB been used up? Is it something to do with the OS?

Help appreciated. Apologies if this is a basic question.

Croc.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Not sure if this is your issue or not...

Or you can check out the Guide here at MR: Hard Drive Size Discrepancy

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. crocodilious thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm, i'm not sure that's it.
    i understand that 80GB is actually 74GB or whatever, but i'm saying that if i total up everything i have stored and the space that's left, it comes to 61GB, leaving 13GB (74gb-61gb) that has disappeared ON TOP of the 7% or so lost with the binary business.
    does this make sense?

4. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I take it you don't have any partitions?
    Run disc utility and it should tell you where every byte of your drive is.

5. littleb2005 macrumors member

also alot of gigs is taken up by the extra languaes and the ilife applictions

6. crocodilious thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, no i don't have an partitions and yeah i ran disc utility and it sorta helped, haha.
    i missed a bit out whilst calculating it, but when i did it again i realised they were more or less right which their estimates (though i couldn't seem to get the exact numbers). so i'm relatively pleased now but i'm almost outta space on the Hard drive...but i've got 1TB of backup ^^

7. macsg macrumors newbie

space on the hard drive question

as macos x works with the harddrive, be sure to have enough empty space on your systemdrive. you need at least 30gb for the system + applications to work smoothly.