space problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by estuan_ant, Feb 24, 2018.

1. estuan_ant macrumors newbie

Hi ,

I would like us a short question whether I misunderstand the current space in my HD. I am attaching the pic of storage. What does this picture mean? how much space do I have.

best,
    hakki

2. PieTunes Contributor

PieTunes

Post the picture and we may be able to answer your question better. :)

3. estuan_ant thread starter macrumors newbie

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The free space image, shows you how your drive is being consumed, and from the space, it appears that most of it is being used up by applications.

I would recommend you download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space in a more detailed exhbit then what the built in tool provides.

5. PieTunes Contributor

PieTunes

Something does seem a little screwy going on. You have a 500GB drive and it says you have just under 400GB of that free, yet the graph is showing well over 400GB being used. As suggested, use a tool like OmniDiskSweeper to poke around and better explore what is going where, but I would also recommend running First Aid from Disk Utility just to have it check the drive itself. Weird numbers that don't match up as they should might be a catalog issue or something with the file system.

6. estuan_ant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies. Something is strange when I use Disk Utility

In the first figure it says I have used all the space while the other states I have more than 300 GB. Also Ownodisksweeper :)

Did I make mistake somewhere.

best

Attached Files:

7. PieTunes Contributor

PieTunes

Those are normal, the top level Macintosh HD is the physical drive itself, and under it you see the individual partitions that are inside it. Since you have one partition (also called Macintosh HD) inside the Macintosh HD drive, that volume takes up all 500GB of the drive. When you click on the Macintosh HD partition inside, you are seeing the capacity and free space of *that* partition.

8. estuan_ant thread starter macrumors newbie

Really thanks,
    Since the performance of my Macbook pro (retina 13.3 early 2015) has drastically down, I have been trying to solve this problem. Therefore, I eliminated HD space.

Should I switch to Mac OS High Sierra, since I am using Yosemite :)

best

9. Apple_Glen_UK macrumors regular

Apple_Glen_UK

I also have an early 2015 13" MacBook Pro and recently upgraded from Yosemite to Sierra (not High Sierra) and my machine is working better and quicker than ever.