Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
anyone know how to check space remaining and or the charge level of the remote?

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Remote is in the menu under Bluetooth. That's been posted several times.

Space is under General>Manage Storage.

Thanks however "General->Manage Storage" does not show storage remaining only what apps are using and even that seems wrong. Asphalt 8 shows 98MB. That can't be right for that game.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
The manual doesn't address that;I'm thinking it's more like the remote: it will tell you when it matters, when it gets low but you don't need to check on it. (There is a way to check on the remote battery level but it lasts so long, who cares. By design, the same is probably true of storage. )

This may be another feature that needs to be added, total storage free.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Thanks however "General->Manage Storage" does not show storage remaining only what apps are using and even that seems wrong. Asphalt 8 shows 98MB. That can't be right for that game.
Thats probably core download.
May not show the removable packages of content.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I think Apple has quite deliberately not included an actual space remaining count. Because storage on the Apple TV is essentially always in flux, in that apps will use up extra space but it's always available to be overwritten if needed, it would give an inaccurate readout of available space at any one time.

I'm sure there will be a warning of some sort when actual space becomes limited, I've not managed to fill mine up yet to test that theory.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
Will you release it ? Serious design flaw not have a similar menu like on iOS. And what about iCloud backups ? Suppose I want to restore, do I have to manually reinstall all apps ?

Yes. I need to make it presentable then I'll release it.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I know we all like to keep track of remaining space on our devices, but the non-traditional way that the Apple TV deals with the available space makes it somewhat redundant.

Suppose you have 5 games installed, each taking up 2GB of space (not counting the permanent storage of the initial 200). In the traditional way that reduces the available space by 10GB.

But, on the Apple TV, that 10GB is a non permanent store. So as soon as an app needs that space, as decided by the OS, it will be overwritten.
So effectively, although there is a 10GB reduction in space, the OS still treats it as 10GB of available space.

Phew, I could probably have done that better if I hadn't had my medication :D

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
Not having a way to tell space remaining really sucks. How am I to know if i made the right choice with the 64 gab version if I cannot gauge how much space I have free?

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
I know we all like to keep track of remaining space on our devices, but the non-traditional way that the Apple TV deals with the available space makes it somewhat redundant.

Suppose you have 5 games installed, each taking up 2GB of space (not counting the permanent storage of the initial 200). In the traditional way that reduces the available space by 10GB.

But, on the Apple TV, that 10GB is a non permanent store. So as soon as an app needs that space, as decided by the OS, it will be overwritten.
So effectively, although there is a 10GB reduction in space, the OS still treats it as 10GB of available space.

Phew, I could probably have done that better if I hadn't had my medication :D

We understand this however information regarding space is like any other bit of device information. If someone wants to know it they should be able to know it. If they don't wish to know it, don't look. :)

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland

Yeah, I do know where your coming from and I completely agree that it's useful on a device such as an iPhone or iPad where space taken up by apps is fixed. Therefore you can accurately define available space.

It just doesn't work like that on Apple TV, the available space will, in reality, be different from what is reported by the system due to it overwriting as needed. So the available space reported essentially becomes pointless as it will change in a different way to what we are used to in a traditional storage system.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be interesting to see what is physically available at any time, just that what is physically available isn't what is actually available at any given time.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I think the main benefit you get from the larger storage space is that you will be re-downloading assets less as there will be less need for the system to overwrite as often if it's got more room to breathe.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Not having a way to tell space remaining really sucks. How am I to know if i made the right choice with the 64 gab version if I cannot gauge how much space I have free?
Its only $50 bucks. Surely there are better things to dwell on.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
tvStorage submitted to the app store. Will be available in a few days as long as the review goes OK.

tvstorage.png

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
I wonder why didn't Apple show the storage status. Did someone tried to fill up the whole storage with free apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.