Space Shuttle Scheduled

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I wish every success to the space shuttle and crew on May 15th. They need to get back into air, then maybe they can think about repair of the ISS and a replacement.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
It's about time. :)

Best wishes to the shuttle crew, and thank goodness all our people here will be getting back to work soon.

It's too bad in somewhat related news, that the Cape is spinning down ops for two of the rocket programs at the same time. :(

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
Rock on!

May have to resurrect my Mercury 7 desktop that I was using in honor of Gordo! I think I'll also whip out THE RIGHT STUFF...love that movie...love NASA.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
There is a chance I might go and see the launch. I've never been to any rocket launch, so this would be absolutely fantastic.

D

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
Mr. Anderson said:
There is a chance I might go and see the launch. I've never been to any rocket launch, so this would be absolutely fantastic.
Get there early, I'm sure it'll be packed over the whole viewing area. I can normally see the launches from my front door, but I may go out to the beach to watch this one :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
relimw said:
Get there early, I'm sure it'll be packed over the whole viewing area. I can normally see the launches from my front door, but I may go out to the beach to watch this one :)
The plan is to drive down the day before (3 of us, so it will be non stop driving) and get there and see what happens. One of the guys I'm going with has connections with NASA, so we might be ok.

The thing is, I don't think it will go off on schedule, but who knows...

D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Although this is obviously good news, it comes on the heels of some bad news for NASA. Apparently the outgoing chief is under investigation for misuse of funds. Really too bad.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
interesting that he is not aware of the investigation or others.

Wanna know why it is hard to get good people to work for the government. Cause they can make 3 times more somewhere else!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
stubeeef said:
Wanna know why it is hard to get good people to work for the government. Cause they can make 3 times more somewhere else!
I saw that. That's quite a difference. I wonder if it's the same in the "lower ranks" or if it's just the top brass with that kind of a discrepancy?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Mr. Anderson said:

D
The shuttle isnt the most punctual, if you go down there make sure you are prepared for delays. On my honymoon while in Florida (years ago) i had special tickets to view the launch. well guess what happened? Thats right i still have the tickets :rolleyes:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
The plan is to drive down the day before (3 of us, so it will be non stop driving) and get there and see what happens. One of the guys I'm going with has connections with NASA, so we might be ok.

The thing is, I don't think it will go off on schedule, but who knows...

D
For your sake I hope that it goes off as scheduled Mr. Anderson. With the over two years of planning for this launch, the only thing that should delay the launch is weather. Hopefully you will some some pictures for us to view.

MIADolFan

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
Tampa Bay Area, Florida
While I dont have it right at my front door... its easily visible from here in Tampa. I love the night launches... but they say that wont happen anymore :(

Those are the best cause it lights up the sky pretty well.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
MIADolFan said:
While I dont have it right at my front door... its easily visible from here in Tampa. I love the night launches... but they say that wont happen anymore :(

Those are the best cause it lights up the sky pretty well.
You should still get a chance to see the rockets go up at night, just not the shuttle.
With the launch date in mid-May the weather shouldn't be much of a problem. If it slips two weeks, the weather would be more iffy as we move into the rainy season here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.