Space X Dragon Crew Capsule docks with the ISS in first test flight.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Mar 3, 2019.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The first flight with a crew could happen this summer.
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/03/tech...ocking-international-space-station/index.html

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It’s good to see America finally getting back to have a space transportation program. It’s been far too long.

That said, transport to the ISS really isn’t that exciting. We’ve been doing that for decades. What I’m looking forward to most in the near future is the James Webb Space Telescope. It’s only 14 years late right now, expected to be launched in 2021, but I expect amazing results if it works. The technology is quite impressive, over two decades in the making, but the complexity is worrying.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Agreed, I have a thread on the James Webb that I need to update soon. I think it is almost done with it's testing.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Any launch is exciting!
    There is far less margin for errors, and failures have greater chance of fatalities.

As I have posted in past, the US must, MUST, commercialize space launch, and amazingly it has happened.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It’s not that I don’t think it’s interesting, I just find it less interesting than projects with more of a scientific or vastly revolutionary technology.

I saw the Trump administration is looking to cut the SLS budget, which would affect its full development. I honestly feel bad for how much NASA’s budget and direction gets tossed around. It would be nice if NASA worked on a more stable budget.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I agree NASA has been a political football at the mercy of every president's agenda.

SLS should be cancelled outright especially with Trump's budget proposal( which I doubt Congress will agree with. SLS doesn't stand for Senate Launch System for nothing) pretty much turning it into a launch vehicle for Orion. That's a very expensive launch vehicle which capabilities will not be used.

8. Akoni 2011 macrumors newbie

Seeing the splash down brings back the memories of Apollo back to me.
    Great to see new adventures are ahead!
    Greetz from an old Apollo freak in Holland.