spacebar goes CLUNK on new mac wired keyboard!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by whit8725, Jan 21, 2010.

1. whit8725 macrumors newbie

Hi I've just purchased a wired Apple keyboard for my mac mini. I'm moving from el cheapo to the wired keyboard.

Its nice, the keys are silent but the space bar produces a clunk sound when depressed.

Is that normal? As the other keys are silent.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Just tried mine out. The spacebar is noisier than my other keys for sure, but not significantly enough to have made me take notice before. I've never actually noticed it until you just pointed it out right now. And come to think of it, every keyboard that I can remember using has had a noisier spacebar in comparison to the other keys...

Is yours noisy enough to warrant a replacement? If so, take it to an Apple store and compare it to other keyboards there and possibly talk to somebody to have it swapped out.

3. whit8725 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply dude. I just expected the space bar to be the same as the rest of the keys. Thats the least Apple can do considering how much these things are right? I type reasonably fast and I prefer the keys not go have any sound so when the space bar goes clunk clunk clunk it gets annoying.

4. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Wierd lol, I spilt juice on my aluminium wired keyboard a few days ago and it stopped working. Bought a new one today and started typing to find the space bar is a lot louder than the old one!

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

Hmm... It seems like the build quality of the keyboards has gone down if you're noticing that it's a lot louder than your last one. This is my first Apple keyboard (relatively new Mac convert) so I have no base line to compare to.

OP: Like I said, you should compare it with the keyboards on display at the stores. And possibly ask if you can compare it to a new one too. I agree that with the premiums we pay on Apple products that they should be built to a better standard than other less expensive computer products.