spacebar sticks on new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nettap, Nov 24, 2008.

1. nettap macrumors newbie

so i've googled this, and i'm not the only one with this increasingly annoying problem. i've got a new macbook, that i've been very good to.

suddenly the spacebar does not respond the way that it should (especially on the right side where i hit it the most). i have to either hit the bar very hard to get it to work or hit it on the left side (very unnatural!)

is anyone else around here seeing this problem with their new book, and have you tried to have it fixed?

thank you kindly. :)

2. goobimama macrumors regular

Of course you should take it back to the store and have it checked/replaced.

3. northerngit macrumors member

I agree - on a new MBP - take it back and demand it be rectified. I suspect it'll be fixed while you wait; unless you feel comfortable doing some VERY simple DIY. I had the a similar issue on a last gen Sept. 2008 MBP. The symptoms were exactly the same, in addition the spacebar squeaked when pressed on its right side. I popped the spacebar to find two issues:

1) there was no grease on the right hand side where the metal bar clips into the actual key.

2) the actual bar was misaligned, and not securely clipped into the plastic, causing the spacebar to only half depress and click - this also had the made it not actually send a space command to the laptop unless you cracked it with a hammer.

5 minutes to fix and it has been perfect ever since. Glad I ignored all those people saying "just keep using it, it'll loosen up" :rolleyes:

4. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

The other day my "A" key was clicking and felt kinda hard to push.. It went away tho!? I dont know..
    Is your problem constant or does it come and go?

5. nettap thread starter macrumors newbie

it was coming and going - now it is just here. and it is so annoying. although my hands seem to be getting more used to slamming the keyboard. that can't be good for the other keys!!

i will take it in, for sure. :eek: glad i am not alone. well more like happy/sad cause dang, can't my keyboard function correctly?!

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Yea i hear ya! I was upset when my "A" key was sticking but it did go away thank god!
    hope you get yours taken care of! Good luck!

7. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

On of the grip of your key might be broken. That's what happened to me, my S key was clicky, I popped it out only to find that the grip is broken. If you're under warranty they will change your complete keyboard (If your keys are slanted as well) Or just remplace the key itself if it's only the plastic key and not the mechanism under it.

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Well oddly enough I found that just keep using it fixed mine just fine. :p

My 'd' key and spacebar both stuck when I first got the laptop, and within a week or so were working fine.

9. Dormant macrumors newbie

I have only had mine a week, and I am having the same issue. I'm going to take mine back on tuesday.

10. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I'm glad it worked out for you but I'd love to know why you wouldn't return a brand new and very expensive laptop for repair or replacement if it started acting up out of the box? I don't object to the price I paid for my 15" MBP but for the money I do expect the damn thing to work properly.

11. chill. macrumors 6502

maybe think of it this way:

there's no doubt that some of the software on the mac has bugs in it. would you return a brand new and very expensive laptop if it had a minor software glitch?

maybe for small problems that have a chance of getting fixed, it wasn't worth sending back and getting a new laptop

12. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I might if the bug was interfering with my ability to perform a core function that I purchased the computer for. For some people at least that would include being able to type properly.

I guess I don't see keyboard faults as minor on a laptop, given that you can't just plug in another like you could on a desktop machine.