Spaces a little more difficult to work with on Snow Leopard - "feature" missing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by felixen, Sep 13, 2009.

1. felixen macrumors 6502a

Before I got this new Snow Leopard I would hit f8 to bring up spaces, then move the cursor to say the upper left space, and then hit f8 again to move to that space.

Now though, I have to move the cursor to the upper left space and then actually click the mouse button on it to go to this space. If I hit f8 without clicking, I just come back to the space Im already on.

Why this bother me is because first of all I work quicker the other way, no biggy though. BUT before I could also drag a file from one space to another because I could switch space only by using f8 and moving the cursor. Now when I have to click on the damn thing it'll "release" the file Im trying to drag, so I cant drag between spaces in the same cool and quick way.

anyway I can change this? It really sucks actually

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Probably no way you can change the behavior, but there are some other Spaces things you might find handy that perhaps you didn't know about. These were also available in Leopard:

1) If you're dragging a file from one space to another, just drag the file to the edge of the screen and the system will shift to the space that's in that direction. This is most useful for shifting up/down/left/right; not so good for diagonals, perhaps, and possibly annoying if you're using more than four spaces.

2) If you're trying to drag application windows, go into Spaces and drag the application from one window to another. No clicking required - dragging and "dropping" the window will still keep you in the Spaces viewer.

2A) As an addendum to the above, go into Spaces, and then activate Expose (or activate Expoes and then Spaces). All windows show, and you can drag one window from one space to another, even more easily. Better yet, if you're a nut about maintaining window orientation, doing it this way will keep that orientation (doing it the way listed in point 2 will not).

3. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool thanks, that helps a little. I just wish the old thing would still work though.. anyway I cant get your first example to work. I click a folder on the desktop and drag it to the edge of my screen, but it doesnt change space. I only use 4 spaces

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

You've already got your hand on the mouse since you had to move the cursor to your desired space. Seems to me it's easier to click the mouse than to disengage to hit F8 again.

You probably worked quicker the other way because of habit. I believe once the new way becomes habit you'll wonder why it you even thought it was an issue.

My $.02

5. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I find that assigning as much as you can to the mouse and hot corner is a big help.

Mouse tweaked with USB Overdrive (BT Mighty Mouse - one that actually works great):

middle-click = new Finder window
    side-squeeze = dashboard

Screen:

Upper-right corner = Exposé all windows
    Lower-right corner = Reveal Desktop
    Upper-left corner = Spaces (reveal all spaces)
    Lower-left corner = Sleep Display

6. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

word, I just like doing those things on the keyboard :) no big problem though. But I do wish I could get the first posters first suggestion to work. Sounds like he changes space by dragging something to the edge of the screen, but it doesn't work here

7. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, I have Finder locked to the first screen. So if Im on the second, third or fourth space and I open a folder, then I manually have to change to the first space. Before it would automatically go to the space that the new window would open in.. Can I change this???

edit: its weird cause it still changes space when I click on firefox. but for finder I have to manually change space

8. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

does anyone know if theres a setting for this last thing? its annoying that I have to manually change space when I open something in Finder, when it would automatically change space before I updated to snow leopard. And its weird cause other things like Firefox still changes space automatically

9. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yeah, I thought there was a check box for this in the Spaces prefpane, where one way it would switch to the space that the app is in, the other it would open a new window in the current space. Not on my Mac right now...

Dragging windows the the edge of the screen works for moving between spaces, not sure if it's supposed to work with dragging files (seems like it but I can't check right now).

10. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

thats weird cause it doesnt work here.. Not with windows either

11. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Have you tried using CTRL + Up, Down, Left, Right arrows to change space
    Or CTRL + 1, 2, 3, 4... to go to the desired space?

12. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I noticed that check box in spaces disappears sometimes, but even though I have it checked now it still doesn't help. I have a few folders on my desktop, and when I'm on my space for internet (space 4) and I double click the a folder on the desktop, then I have to go to space 1 in order to see that folder - doesnt happen automatically anymore. However Firefox will automatically change space, and when I open "documents in finder" in the dock it changes space automatically too. Really weird!

As for the edge dragging, I really cant get it to work. I drag a window so I only see half of it on one space, and logically I should be able to see the other half on another space, but I dont.

Yeah, I'm using this a little know :)

13. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Just to confirm, dragging both windows and files in the Finder to the edge of the screen to move to another space works for me. You just have to be sure to drag it in the direction of the next Space (i.e. if your in Space 1, Space 2 is to the right).

14. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

Not sure if this helps but if you activate spaces and want to cursor to your desired space, you can then hit Enter and you will Enter that space. Same with dragging windows.

Also, regarding Finder being locked to a space. Mine still automatically changes to the correct space when I open a new finder window; either by clicking on my HDD icon on my desktop or by doing a Control-N with Finder active. Both of those switch to space 1 as it should.

15. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm thats really weird, cause none of those things work for me. The dragging a window to the edge doesn't work. And the thing you say with moving the cursor over a space and hitting enter doesnt work for me either (did on my previous OS). And finally having it automatically change space when opening finder doesnt work either. Really weird.. Is it possible to reinstall Spaces or something? Cause I dont wanna reinstall the whole computer, but I wish I could fix this crap

16. iMerlin macrumors 6502a

iMerlin

I dont believe there is a way to reinstall only spaces, you would have to redo the Snow Leopard install.

Im really not sure why yours wouldnt function as it should. We have a slightly different setup though, F8 on my machine pauses and plays iTunes, nothing to do with activating Spaces. I have mine set up in a hot corner (upper right) and I can do everything from there. I tested your scenario by activate the hot corner, then leaving the mouse alone and moving the cursor with the arrow keys to my desired space, then hit enter and poof. I did the same with dragging the windows. Weird.

Do you have an Apple store nearby? They would help out in an instance.

All else fails, reinstall Snow, it doesnt take to long to begin with anyway.

17. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

ah i misunderstood you, didnt know you mean using the arrow keys. I thought you meant pointing the cusor at a space and then hit enter :) cause that didn't work. I didnt know about the arrow keys but they seem to work fine. I still dont get the other things though

18. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi again everyone! :)

Now I have noticed something about my problem with Finder & Spaces. I don't know about you guys, but my prefered way of working with the my Mac often involves using the f11 button to quickly push aside all windows and show me the desktop. And I noticed that this is where one of my problems lie. See when I do this while in Firefox and I then open a folder on the desktop, then Spaces will not automatically change to the space that the folder is opening on. BUT if I minimize Firefox instead and then open the folder, then spaces does change space automatically...

So this is one of the things that's been bothering me. I know it doesn't sound like a much, and I guess it ain't, but still it's always those little things that gets annoying in the long run (like my Dock freezing up for half a minute sometimes when I right click it).

Does this same thing apply to you guys?

19. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

its really weird. this didnt happen when I had Tiger. i think its a shame that there are several things i liked better in Tiger than on Snow Leopard