Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
it's strange that this happens: i have a finder window open in space-2 but want to open up another one in space-1. i press "apple-tab" to choose finder so i can apple-n to open up a new one. however when i select finder it brings me to space-2 instead to remain in space-1.

and i didn't assign finder for only 1 space.

same happens with safari or any other program.

i wish it wouldn't move me into another space when i select the program, it should just go into the mode where it shows you the menubar with the application name so you can create a new window/ file from any space.

any ideas?

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
This is the flaw in Spaces, and it is idiotic Apple didn't fix this before launch. Printing does weird things too with Spaces.

But, you can fix it.

Open the Spaces preference, click the + to add an application to a space and navigate to:

Go to Macintosh HD/Library/Core Services

add Finder

Set the option to have Finder in all Spaces.

This fixes 95% of the idiotic behavior in Spaces.

God, I miss the old Apple.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Uh.

I toss a finder in space 2, hit command-n in space 1 and a finder opens in space 1, and the finder in space 2 remains.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Uh.

I toss a finder in space 2, hit command-n in space 1 and a finder opens in space 1, and the finder in space 2 remains.

of course that works.

but before you do command-n try to switch to a program and then to finder and you'll see spaces brings you back to where you have finder open instead to remain in the current space.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
of course that works.

but before you do command-n try to switch to a program and then to finder and you'll see spaces brings you back to where you have finder open instead to remain in the current space.

Ok, I foreground firefox, then foreground Finder (clicking on background), cmd-n still works.

I see what you are saying though, if you are alt tabbing to a finder and hitting ctrl-n it'll make that finder in the other space.

shrug.

open spaces and drag the finder to the appropriate space or click the background before requesting a new finder window.

xristy

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
Spaces not so weird

The apple-tab behavior seems reasonable to me as it generally is putting you in the space in which the selected app was last active.

If you click on a desktop folder, for example "Macintosh HD", then the folder will simply open in the current space which is a sensible behavior.

Similarly with Safari, one selects Safari on the dock and performs ctrl-click "New Window" and the new window opens in the current space.

This kind of behavior is quite like that of the prior third-party virtual desktops for Mac OS X. Since I rely on a virtual desktop to work effectively on my MacBook Pro, I am rather sensitive to how the Spaces work as the inclusion of the feature chased off the third-party developers.

Also the suggestion of putting Finder in every window via the System Preferences creates a situation in which all open Finder windows are visible in all spaces - almost certainly not what most users will want. Typically I use each Space for some type of task and will want folders related to the task open in that Space and not in others as I switch between Spaces.

Note, Finder is at: Macintosh HD/System/Library/CoreServices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.