Spaces and Secondary Display question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jamarwright, Nov 17, 2008.

1. jamarwright macrumors newbie

I use spaces with a projector as my secondary display for meetings at work. Any time I use the birds eye to view all of my spaces, my secondary display disappears, making it obvious that I'm tinkering around in spaces. Is there anyway to keep the secondary display stationary (IE not blacking out when I use the bird's eye view)? My goal is to keep my secondary display's desktop up at all times. I know you can press :apple:+tab to switch between apps, but is there anyway to tweak this in spaces so that the secondary display's desktop remains omnipresent? it does the same thing when you use the birds eye view in expose too. it would really help from being distracting when I use this feature for meetings at work. This way my secondary desktop could just serve as a digital banner that's always up. Any ideas anyone?

2. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

I don't think so. When you use dual monitors, both monitors = 1 desktop. Therefore, when you use Spaces (bird's-eye view), everything is going to disappear so that you can get the view. Gotta think of it that way: 2 monitors still = 1 desktop, just larger, not 2 separate spaces.

3. jamarwright thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm...

it is still considered 1 desktop even though you can have two different desktop backgrounds?

I guess that's why I got confused. What you're saying makes perfect sense. Dang it Gina! that would be handy feature to integrate in future versions of the os. if it's at all possible. thanks for the reply.

4. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

If you can span the mouse across the displays, then it's one desktop, 2 wallpapers or not. If you think about it, wouldn't it be kinda annoying if you had to press a button to switch to the other (what would be) "space" that's RIGHT THERE! right next to your other monitor?

I used to think it would be a better idea to have 1 monitor = 1 desktop, but I changed my mind later. Maybe there should be a choice.